1911 picture thread?

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I and my father got into a discussion about "non-basic" 1911's after he showed me a Kimber that had been customized and awarded to a president. He said "of course it is a Kimber" I asked why he would say it like that. He said "Well, because Kimber is the best quality 1911" Having never owned a 1911 and neither has he, I felt I had the upper hand as I read TFL and said, "Some of the Kimber models may be high grade but I hear not all are superior and the name Dan Wesson comes up alot in discussions regarding truly superior 1911's.
So here is my dilemma... I would be bombarded with hits trying to search "1911 pictures" or "custom 1911" in the archive search.

Could some of you folks post links to discussions about the various 1911's that consider good comparisons etc. And lastly has there been one of them gun **** "Show us yer 1911" threads someone may have saved a link to?

Thanks in advance,
Brent

AZAK

Colt, Springfield Armory, Fusion, Dan Wesson, Brown, Baer, Wilson Combat...

Try typing those names into your favorite search engine, maybe with .45acp, and look at their websites.

Myself I still like the ponies. Although on the above list the one which I am leaning toward now for my next 1911 would be Fusion.

Have fun looking! The only problem with looking is that it rarely stops there! And once you are hooked by the 1911s, the fat lady sings!

Last edited:

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
And once you are hooked by the 1911s, the fat lady sings!
NO... my wife would not "sing"... she would scream....:eek: And did you just call my wife fat?:D
Yeah I was hoping to get a couple links and forward them to my pop. He would surf thru a couple threads but wouldn't go thru the sites of makers.
Brent

KyJim

It's really unfair to compare 1911s in different categories to each other. Some are very high quality production or semi-custom: Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk. These will cost about $1,700 plus to over $4,000. That's without getting into true custom guns.

Here's a couple of pics of my two Ed Browns:

Ed_Brown_Special_Forces_Bobtail_02.jpg

Ed_Brown_Special_Forces1.jpg

Below this level, you have Dan Wesson, Kimber, SW, Colt, Springfield, STI, and Sig. Fusion is between the two levels. Underneath that comes some of the Phillipine pistols like Metro Arms American Classic, Charles Daly, Firestorm, and Rock Island. Oh yeah, Taurus is in the market, too.

I am grossly simplifying the strata as the major manufacturers may cover two or three levels. The Springfield Professional Model will compete with the Baers, Browns, etc. But they also have a quality budget brand in the GI or Milspec models.

IdahoG36

I hear you on the Kimbers. They have so many models that look great. Some of the best 1911s in the "looks department" IMO. But their QC is definitely lacking. It's a roll of the dice. You may get a great pistol, or one with issues. $1200-$1700 is a lot of money to risk getting a lemon.

I would love to have one of Kimbers SIS models, either the Custom or the Pro. They look great, but I just can't bring myself to do it.:D

DasFriek

I think you hit the nail on the head in how you think most here look at 1911's.
I reallllllly want a Dan Wesson,so custom looking and tight but at production gun prices.
I dont have tons of shooting experiance,nor shot many guns.But i know what i like.I like shooting a 1911 alot,its actually a pleasure.
I owned a G20c no so long ago i sold to fund another gun,anyhow i dont miss the Glock but i miss shooting the 10mm.
I think i need to save up and buy a DW Razorback in 10mm.
300px-Dan_Wesson_DW_RZ-10_(_Razorback_).jpg

IMHO; when you get right down to it that there just is not a whole lot of difference between quality 1911's.

The basics are pretty much the same. It is the small things that are most noticeably different. Like grips safeties, hammers, triggers, thumb safeties, etc.

All of that comes down to what you like best. This pic shows the differences between three different guns. The hammers are different, the grip safeties are different, and the thumb safeties are different.

gripsafety.jpg

Then you get into more technical stuff like type of barrels, types of ramping, and types of extractors.

I myself prefer a duck tail grip safety, skeletonized trigger and hammer, a fully ramped bull barrel, internal extractor, and low profile thumb safety.