1911 owners sign here...

What is your primary use for your 1911(s)?

• Defense

Votes: 73 54.9%
  • Competition

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • Collecting

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • Informal shooting/range use

Votes: 70 52.6%
  • Other (hunting, learning gunsmithing, etc.)

Votes: 6 4.5%

• Total voters

dsk

Okay, in the spirit of the other posts, here's one for 1911's, but with a twist. Just an informal poll on what you mostly use your 1911's for (multiple choice). Also, what is your most frequently used 1911 pistol? Mine changes with the seasons, but currently it's a stainless Colt Series 70 reproduction mildly customized (used for defense and range use).

Last edited:

omegapd

Most frequently used pistol or most frequently used 1911?

On average, my S&W Model 10 .38 is used the most...my AMT Govt. Model is the most used 1911.

Well, I have a Llama in .38 Super that gets used more than the AMT but it's not a true 1911...;)

Black Majik

My main reason for owning 1911s is because nothing comes close to the joy I get shooting a 1911.

But they serve multiple purposes. I use them on the range. I use them to get my friends into the .45 ACP caliber. I use them to get them into 1911s. I use them to get them into shooting since I also have a Marvel .22 Conversion Kit. I use them to teach a new shooter how to properly shoot a handgun. I use them as my home defense/nightstand gun. I use them to spoil new shooters on an absolutely sweet trigger and ruin them on getting anything else other than a 1911. Etc etc etc.... :D

BigFunWMU

The way a 1911 points in my hand, the good trigger available, and the almost infinite customization options, make me really love the 1911.

In spite of what you may have heard, you can CCW a full size 1911. My roommates couldnt see mine on me, I even told them I had it, and they still couldnt spot it....

Samuel2001

Have five 1911s!

1. Colt Series 70 .45God, Nickel w./Ivories
2. Colt 1911-A1 .45God, Polished & blued w./Ivories
3. Colt Combat Comander .45God, Blued w./Dark Walnut Double Diamond
4. Colt Comander Gold Cup .45God, Blue/Stainless W./Rosewood Double diamond (#136 of 250)
5. Kimber Custom .45God, Robar Np3 and too many mods to list!

I don't plan on stoping till I get a 1950s Natl. Match, pre-war 1911 Civilian .45, late 30s .38 Super and if I can ever find/aford one a .38 Super Mtch. Then I might be done.

Had a few Springers before, did'nt like the way the frames were cut at the front stap. The new ones feel alot better, might have to get another two or tree. Should'nt of sold the OMEGA!!!

CaptainSKA

Just Got My First 1911

Just picked up a Springfield-Armory "Loaded" Fullsize, which will serve as my primary home defense pistol once it has been fully tested and put through its paces.

.45 Vet

Kimber Classic Custom for informal range play.
Colt Combat Commander for carry, yeah I know it's a bit heavy.

GunsnRovers

I have three 1911's.

A Springfield Mil-Spec built up by Yost-Bonitz
A Springfield GI I built up
A Colt Commander built up by Tripp Research

I never know which to choose when I open the safe. Right now I lean towards the Commander.

All three are for range use now. The house guns are a S&W M15 and M28. My wife prefers revolvers. I don't CCW here in Los Angeles.

yorec

Primarily Defense... But all the above come into it.

Most used is my Springfield Armory Loaded gun with Parkarizing.

RickB

You guys get in a lot of shootouts! The question was what do we USE the guns for. I carry a gun, but have never fired a shot in self-defense. My guns get USED in competition. :)
My most-used gun in '05 is a Caspian slide/frame longslide .45, which gets shot almost every weekend.

Pistolenschutze

Most used for me is my Colt Goldcup, dsk, closely followed by my Colt Commander. Unlike some, I don't like a single action 1911 for carry purposes, but love them as range guns. They are pure joy to shoot.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. Though defense is one reason I own 1911 pattern pistols, I checked the range/fun catagory. The vast majority of my time with these guns is spent using them on paper for nothing more than enjoyment, challenge, and to relax. I have cleanly killed several Texas whitetails with such guns, but overall I'd say that I own them for the enjoyment factor.

All of that said, a trusty 1911 is mighty "comforting" next to the bed, or when carried for self protection.

Of late, I've been using a Springfield Mil-Spec and a couple of Caspians I did at the house.

Best.

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
Of course I spend a lot of time throwing flyin' ashtrays downrange, but I had to check defense since my 1911 is my main duty carry weapon. I love the comments I get from other cops about me carrying cocked 'n' locked, like "isn't that dangerous?", and all the while their Glock 17's are really cocked 'n' locked too :eek: :D .

drjeffrock

A few months back I purchased my first handgun, a Springfield Armory Loaded Champion SS. I had the chance to shoot quite a few guns before purchasing, and just went with what felt right in my hand when I pulled the trigger. Oh, and the 1911 sure is one sexy byatch as well. ;)
I could not be happier with my purchase. It has seen great use at the range. In fact, I just "had" to go out and buy a 9mm cause I am about to go broke shooting .45 ammo. :(
So, with the purchase of my new H&K 9mm USP I am assuming I will shoot the 1911 a little less, maybe half as much at the range.
With regards to personal defense, if my girl and I are ever in a shtf situation, she knows to grab the HK and I take my trusty 1911.
If I had to only grab one in a heated situation, I think I would grab the 1911. I have not mastered the trigger yet on the HK, so I would go with what I feel most comfortable with (my Springer.)
Oh, and I live in Los Angeles, so CCW is out of the question.
GunsnRovers, it's nice to see someone else in Los Angeles. I have been shooting at LAX and the Firing Line in Burbank. I have heard great things about the Oak Tree Gun Club, and look forward to going when I have some free time.

aspen1964

I bought my Colt Gov't 45 to shoot it....if I never buy another automatic, I will perfectly satisfied with my 45....there is nothing about that I don't like....I have developed an absolute trust in the gun's ability to shoot, it's safety in carrying and handling...the gun is far more handsome in looks than any other automatic pistol...thats my asessment..!