1911 Novak Lo-Mount issue

Jamie Young

I recently got back two of my 1911s from my gunsmith and both of them are hitting about 10inches low at 25yds (proven with a rest) I'm not too happy with how much drop there is any I'm going to send it back to the smith to get more appropriate sights.

Right now I have a .340 rear sight and a .180 front sight.

The same sights were put on a Colt 1991A1 and a SA- MilSpec 1911. They both hit the same at 25yds.

What are my options?

dmbassking

I am not 100% familair with the novak line of sights, but they should have a shorter front sight that will work. I remember there being a table for approx site height change/poi change but I can't seem to find it.

One would think that the smith would have test fired it before returning it to you.

Jim Watson

Ten inches at 25 yards is .077" on the sights. That would leave just a nubbin of a front blade.
Novak makes a Low-Mount rear that is meant for the Colt OACP and such short guns with steep locking angle, it is about .050" taller which would take up most of the difference. Otherwise it would be a case of shopping among the sights to fit the Novak cut to find a taller rear.

Harry Bonar

novak

Sir:
Used to cut sights for him till my son was killed. I know that if they did it, it should have been right!
I don't understand whether they did it or someone else - did they dovetail the front? If they left the full height of the blade that would explain it.
If you can send a picture.
Harry B.

Jamie Young

Tell me something....

I went to an indoor range and picked up some factory ammo today and shot 10-11inches low at 25yds. A friend showed up and shot my gun and it was dead on at 15yds and only a few inches low at 25yds.

The difference:

I hold my front sight at 6 o'clock and he puts the front white dot over the area he is aiming at. He said he always shoots like that... I don't?

Harry Bonar

sight

Sir:
Yes, I hold the top of the front blade even with the top of the rear sight and, under combat situations (and any other) you do want to see the white dot on the threat.
I've settled for a black rear and a white (or tritium with white surrounding it) front. This is crucial - the last thing you want to do in a lethal encounter is try to line up sights!
On some of my pistols I run a 3/8" ball mill down to the bottom of the rear notch (the Novak "ghost ring sight) so I have clearance around the front sight - it's very fast close -up at gunfight range, but you need the notch over seven paces or so.
Harry B.

RsqVet

Simply put 2 diffirent schools of thought on sight / hold for the combat pistol.

Folks could debate which is preferable until the end of time

If you did not specify when you ordered the set up they made an assumption and set the gun up acordingly.

Easy fix if you don't want to use it as is, but a PIA for you.

UniversalFrost

I aim just the same way as JamieYoung, but with my Springfield 1911A1 (bone stock GI model) I have to aim with the front dot over the intended POI like Harry. Not hard to switch between aiming styles and the Springfield is dead on at 25 and a tad high at 15.