1911 Nirvana

5whiskey

Just that. Have you found it, and what brings it on? Is it a custom Les Baer or Wilson? Or is it just a simple Colt or Ruger with a few upgrades? Perhaps a custom build you did?

I recently found mine today in a cheap RIA GI that have tinkered with for months. Some polishing on all trigger surfaces but the sear and hammer hooks, a reduced weight sear spring and 21lb mainspring, some snakewood grips i made, and a sight upgrade... And I experienced it today when I went to the range with a new hire at my agency. I did some failure to stop drills at 10 yards drawing from a thumb break. I was very pleased. My firearms coordinator also refused a small wager (non monetary) to shoot against me on the dueling tree. My times weren't far off from my times with my go to carry pistol, a CZ p07 in 9mm. It was the sights that topped it off. I got a cheap set from Brownells as a birthday gift to myself, and they are miles ahead of the thumbnail GI sights.

I'm interested in hearing your 1911 story. Plus I like hearing about preferred custom add-ons. I prefer to keep this one close to GI style, but I would love to pick up a 70s series Colt one day to add some "flair" to. Plus just to have another colt (had a series 80 some time ago but had to sell it due to fund career/life changes). So... Tell me about your favorite 1911.

Model12Win

My M1911A1 Springer:

20170911_165743.jpg

I prefer mine GI. No fruity nonsense, just a real fightin' M1911A1. I believe a 1911 should be kept simple and a bit loose. Them boys on Iwo and in Nam didn't complain about jamming 1911s. That's because they were built a bit loose and wouldn't choke on debris in combat.

Rob228

Springfield 1911 Operator. I put VZ grips on it, an Ed Brown MSH and an Ed Brown standard length guide rod to replace the wonky 2 piece guide rod it came with. Its the most accurate pistol I own since selling my S&W 586 and the most pleasant to shoot.

RickB

1930's National Match would be my holy grail.
I saw one at a gun show, maybe fifteen years ago, tagged $4000, and having driven to the show in a car worth about that, decided the price was not in line with what I could afford.
Still, the most beautiful pistol I've ever seen.
That would be my choice for simply having, as opposed to one for shooting.

I started USPSA competition 20 years ago, shooting a G.I. Colt that had belonged to my dad. I soon started shooting IDPA too, and decided I needed two new guns, one for each game.
My IDPA gun would double as a weapon, so it was very basic with few bells and whistles.
I selected all of the components, did all of the fitting that could be done by hand, then turned it over to a local gunsmith for milling-in the sight dovetails and surface prep.
I have about 20,000 rounds through it now, and it would be my "if I could have just one" choice.

Attachments

• IMG_08621.jpg
    IMG_08621.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 56

highpower3006

The first time I handled one I knew that I had found "the gun". I developed a long lasting appreciation for them that has lasted over forty years. My favorites are US property marked 1911 and 1911-A1's and I am always on the lookout for pre 1945 military Colts. I do have a few civilian Colt 1911's to kind of round out the collection.

surveyor

This one Started out as a norinco 1911a1 before a trip to my smith.

Attachments

• 12234934_944309002308232_1540981753022546627_n.jpg
    12234934_944309002308232_1540981753022546627_n.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Reloadron

My love affair with the 1911 likely began in the mid 1960s when I was a kid. I really don't know why I was drawn to the things. I originally went to Vietnam as a courier so had a Marine Corps issued 1911 in addition to my rifle. The love affair continues today and I really lean towards the Colt Series 70 MK IV guns. Last count I think there were about a dozen of them. Actually the last 1911 I got was a Colt Series 70 .38 Super. I would like to find a good clean Series 70 9mm. I also have a nice little 3" barrel Kimber which I got from a friend in need of money, the little gun shoots well and the accuracy surprised me as a .45 ACP 3" barrel I would never had thought would shoot as well as it does.

Anyway here are a few of my Colt Series 70 guns, the adjustable rear sight ones are Gold Cups.

Colts.png

The stainless looking one is actually a Series 70 Nickel finish. Something else I really like and enjoy using is this old Colt .22 LR Conversion Kit.

Conversion%202.png

The kit will fit any 1911 and makes for a lot of fun. Anyway 50 plus years later I still havent a clue what draws me to the things but apparently I like them. :)

Ron

jdc1244

Is it a custom Les Baer or Wilson? Or is it just a simple Colt or Ruger with a few upgrades? Perhaps a custom build you did?

Nope.

Just a beat up and rusted Colt model O1091 – I rubbed out the rust spots and installed a new barrel, got two new mags and it’s been 100 percent reliable and accurate, a true joy to shoot.

PatientWolf

Right now, it is probably this one...

Attachments

• file-6083E51F-8701-4FD5-B5FE-358B1DDD2E37-904-0000014BF90A3B7D.jpg
    file-6083E51F-8701-4FD5-B5FE-358B1DDD2E37-904-0000014BF90A3B7D.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 58

5whiskey

What sights did you get from Brownells?

These here. Pretty good for the money IMO. You will likely have to do some fitting with the rear sight, but nothing that's any more difficult than staking a front sight in the first place.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/sight-sets/1911-fixed-black-sight-sets-prod41672.aspx

Some pretty pistols shown off so far. Model12 I'm kind of with you, I like 1911A1 models. I do want to get another Colt one day, but my RIA will probably remain GI styled other than the sights and grips. I will post a picture later since everyone else is.

HisSoldier

The RIA has a special place in my heart because it is so good for the price. I own one now and gave my first one to my brother because he wanted a SD handgun and the RIA always functioned reliably. But I missed it so bought another, a replacement.
Of all the other 1911 type guns I have the DW's are very special indeed, plus a SA 38 Super that I parkerized myself.
Four or five is not nearly enough 1911's.

larryf1952

I own 7 1911's, but this is the one that I likely prize the most. I bought it in 1998. Kimber Classic Stainless LE. 1 of about 600 produced. Runs 100%, crazy accurate, fantastic trigger, fit and finish are superb. I paid about half of what it'd sell for today.

35468595192_7a119df5e0_c.jpg

smee78

I would have to say my favorite 1911 is my dad's Colt Combat Commander in 9mm, it was the first center fire pistol I ever shot and last a lasting impression. I am in no hurry to get it from him and hope I have to wait a long time to get it.

Now my personal favorite that I own is either my Springfield Armory brushed chrome 9mm or my Colt Combat Commander 45 with a brushed nickel finish. Its tough between them to pick a favorite.

KyJim

It would be hard to pick just one 1911 as my Nirvana. It would be hard to pick even two but here are two I really love, a Dan Wesson Valkyrie and a Nighthawk Falcon. I changed grips on both pistols (both are slim grips). The grips are made by VZ exclusively for Harrison Custom. They give me a sure grip but curiously are not rough on my ample love handles when Carrying IWB. I ordered a non-standard front sight and rear sight on the Falcon.

0odVTzK.jpg

fYEurUc.jpg