1911 Newbie and Slide Stop

dalpra

I recently purchased my first 1911 pistol, a Colt National Match. I'm having a heck of a time replacing the slide stop into the slide after field stripping. I'm concerned about scratching the frame or slide. Please tell me, what's the trick to doing this correctly? I've seen others pop these things back in easily, but I'm struggling. TIA.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. I am assuming that you have the slide properly positioned such that the stop can be inserted. A likely culprit can be the plunger. That's the little spring-loaded piece extending from the plunger tube which rides above the left-side stock between the thumb safety and the slide stop. Its purpose is to apply tension against both of these parts. Sometimes, a plunger sticks out a bit more than it should and makes insertion of the slide stop difficult. If such is the case, just push it back into the plunger tube a bit with a thin screwdrive or knife blade and insert the slide stop. Be careful not to mar the frame. Good luck and best.

dalpra

Stephen,
That is exactly the problem. The first time I reassembled the pistol, I had a devil of a time with that plunger. I finally used a small screwdriver to hold it back and of course, the blade slipped made a small mark on the plunger (at least it didn't scratch the slide). I have also tried a wooden dowel, but using a tool is very clumsy and I still worry about marring the gun. I guess I'll keep trying. Thanks.

Jim V

Pachmayr offers a handy little tool called a WIDGIT for the 1911. It has a thin blade end for depressing the plunger.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

RWK

Dalpra,

This minor problem has happened to me with several 1911A1s -- it's common. In all cases, a little lubricant (such as Breakfree CPL) lavishly applied to the spring tube, followed by manually operating the spring a few dozen times, quickly resolved the problem.

[This message has been edited by RWK (edited August 30, 2000).]

Greg G

You might also want to put a piece of tape on the frame and on the slide where you are likely to leave a scratch when you are inserting the slide stop, it might save you some grief. :)

straightShot

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dalpra:
I'm concerned about scratching the frame or slide.[/quote]

Don't worry about scratches. Guns are meant to be used. Scratches around the stop are normal- but that's my opinion...

When you put the slide stop in, insert it and then align the stop so that it is just below the plunger. Push up and in, and then push the stop into the detent in the slide. If you push the slide stop straight against the plunger and not up and in, it's quite a bit harder. Hope this helps.

------------------
NRA Life Member
Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners(MCRGO)

VaughnT

A: Don't buy the Widgit!! Carve down the end of an old toothbrush or paint brush. This is excellent for cleaning the gun, scraping lead residue, and holding the plunger in.

B: I had this problem on my SA1911 and sent it back to the company. They reground the slide stop and it's not so much of a problem now. Up-and-in is good advice, as is lubing the plunger housing.

C: My thoughts, overall, on the SA are not very complimentary. They do, however, offer a lifetime warranty and I suggest you take advantage of it.

------------------
When Reason Fails.....

James K

Member In Memoriam
When reassembling, do not insert the recoil spring plug, so there is no recoil spring tension on the slide. Swing the slide stop thumbpiece down into the trigger guard and insert the pin, making sure the slide stop pin goes through the link. (Try operating the slide to make sure it is in OK.)

Move the slide back so that the small half round slide cutout is even with the slide stop hole in the frame. Then, without scratching the frame, swing the slide stop upward so it is even with the slide cut out and press it up and in.

Now, turn the barrel bushing and insert the recoil spring plug, then turn the bushing back and lock the plug. All done.

Jim

Thumper

straightShot and Jim Keenan gave the best advice...up and in, no fiddling with the plunger.

------------------
Ronnie