1911 Magazines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macoute

Which 1911 magazines - 7 or 8 round capacity- have you found to be the most reliable? Are the surplus government contract magazines worth a try? Thanks.

johnboy

Retired Screen Name
I have been using McCormick's 8rd Shooting Stars in my Kimber without any problems. You can pay more for others, but these work great for me.

Johnboy

HS

Well, the 2 Colt stamped ones I had were fine. The 10rnd Stainless Shooting Star mag worked great too. The 2 original Norinco mags were also good. :)
Then again the Norinco .45 fed LSWC with no 'smithing !
I think I got one of the "good" ones. ;)
Pity I sold it to further my gun lusts :(

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/

Walt Sherrill

I've used Colt 7-round, Norinco 7-round, McCormick 8 round (2), and McCormick 10 (1) without problems.

A second McCormick 10 rounder had to be disassembled and some rough egdes around the holes cleaned up before the spring wouldn't catch and hamper feeding.

All work properly, now.

[This message has been edited by Walt Sherrill (edited July 20, 1999).]

Ricky T

The Wilson magazines (7 or 8 rounds) worked the best for my Colt, Springfields and Kimber. Also they're guaranteed for life. I had a problem with a base plate retainer, and they sent me a replacement retainer, spring and follower , all free of charge within 3 days. I've been using them for 13 years. Rob Leatham use Wilson mags whenever he shoots his Springfield single stack.

Anthony

My Lightweight Commander uses a Colt 7-shot stainless steel (1), Wilson 7-shot (5), and Wilson 10-shot (2). All are excellent.

The point that swayed me to the Wilson mags was the FBI specifically requesting the 7-shot model for their single stack 1911s to be issued to their regular SWAT teams. The FBI might be many things to many people, but they are tough in their requirements for sidearms.

- Anthony

Jim V

My Randall 7 rounders all work well, the various Shooting Star 8 rounders have been winners, both in blue steel and stainless, and even the 7 round GI mags done their jobs. I have some of the older Wilson 7 and 8 rounders that just do not want to function in any of my pistols.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Mike Baugh

Several years ago I used Wilson 8 rounders but had a few malfunctions [the new ones may work better] , I now use Shooting Star 8 Rounders . Mike...

zot

Metal Form mags are the best I've come across
metal rounded follower, no lips screwing up,
they do sell a rubber follower for combat, but I don't like how they keep the slide stop up unless ya remove the mag, $7 per and
that ain't bad

a_diamondback

It's true that there are sufficient variations gun to gun & magazine to magazine that there can be different results. GI surplus mags will work but use only for plinking or bullseye. Any rough usage will make a mess of them with base plates flying off & misfeeds because the lips get bent quickly when they're dropped. For something like IPSC or IDPA would only use three & rank as follows: #1. Wilson #2. Shooting Star #3. Colt Factory (Colt pony logo stamped on bottom). Shooting Star have worked well for me, except for base paltes flying off a couple due to drops onto concrete partially loaded (IPSC).

Ricky T

I agree with a_diamondback. I rate the Wilson as no. 1. I have 3 Shooting Star mags, all less than 3 years old. The base plate broke off of one, and two of them were not 100% reliable. I only use them for practice and IDPA and IPSC. The Shooting Star Premium (super, duper, top of the line) seems to work best. I use only Wilsons for carry.

Grayfox

My Gold Cup came with two factory mags with the Shooting star followers. They jammed constantly. I threw away the followers and installed Wilson followers and springs. They will now feed anything I put in them. For my carry gun I will only use the Wilson 8 rounders. They are the only magazines I have ever used that have never jammed.

Long Path

My very best mags are old King mags with the arsenic hardening on the lips which keeps them from holding a blue.

I used to really like MecGar as a low-cost alternative, and have 4, but have lately been running into problems with them in my Gold Cup....

I am fond of Colt Stainless 7-rounders.

Joefo

I found the Springfield stainless mags very reliable. I also took a bunch of military mags and put rounded followers in. I have used the hell out of these without a problem. For carry I use the Springfields

Status
Not open for further replies.