1911 Longslides

shoop66

I LOVE these... I know a variety of production ones. Les Baer, Para Ordnance, SA, and more. They're expensive. I cant afford much more than 650. I know AMT made 6 and 7 inch ones, but many horror stories. Thinking about Buying an AMT slide and barrel in 6 or 7 inch length and putting on STI, Wilson or other good parts and making like a custom build. I'd also put on an extended grip safety so no hammerbite and i prefer the extended guide rods on my pistols. Not sure how much that would total but how much could it be? STI or SA parts... fairly cheap AMT 6 or 7 inch stainless steel slide... Single stack prefferably. I like to put hogue or pachmayr grips on it, or those colt delta elite or gold cup grips with the red triangle. Or I could buy a Taurus 1911 and buy a AMT 6 or 7 inch barrel and slide on... I'm puzzled. I need your guys help to sort this all out. Or if you guys dont like my plan reccomend a XDM or glock to me thats my backup plan in case this whole longslide thing doesnt work out. thanks guys.

Sevens

The AMT Longslides are 7 inch slide & barrel. No 6 available.

Your real problem would be finding what you need. There are some used ones out there, and you are correct, lots of horror stories, but there are some good ones as well. (I have a good one, a few other guys on this site have a good one)

I've not yet seen an AMT slide/barrel for sale without the rest of the handgun. Maybe you will, but I wouldn't say that it's likely. If you even simply found a slide, Storm Lake will sell you a 7-inch barrel.

Fusion Firearms build full long slide pistols, and they also sell parts kits. Won't be cheap, but it will be good, better than any AMT.

shoop66

Would I even be fine just getting a AMT, breaking it in, solving the problems and replace the neccesary parts, and use it just like that? I have heard from 10+ people that their Longslides were a better paperweight when new, but when firing 500 rounds throught it, and resolving a few problems, they shot like a champ. I'd probably do some 'comfort' modifications, like extended beavertail, full length guide rod (not sure if they make ones for 7 inch slides), some nice pachmayr american legend or hogue rubber grips for more comfort, have the mag well beveled by a gunsmith, and some TriCon or Novak night sights, ed brown mag release and extended thumb safety, etc. Just making shure: Since these 1911s are older, would modern accessories fit on like grips and internal parts or are all 1911a1 internals and external designs pretty much the same? anybody know if the amt 1911s can use any 22 conv kits? preferrably kimber or wilson. also would like to know if the barrel is ramped. thanks guys, but not too many posts. :(

Sevens

The barrel is not ramped, it's just a regular 1911 barrel but 7 inches. IT's polished, both on the barrel and on the frame. Mine eats 200 grain LSWC beautifully.

I don't know if you could use a FLGR with it... you'd have to find someone that used a FLGR on a long slide and get their parts. IMO, I wouldn't bother, since most 1911's can be made to run just fine without one. It uses a standard length recoil spring and I use a regular old Wilson Combat 18 pound spring in mine. The recoil spring plug is a non-standard item, because it looks and works like your basic recoil spring plug, but there is an extra two inches of solid metal... it adds a little weight to the front end and fills up the space between the end of the spring and the barrel bushing.

The frame is basically standard 1911, but with some "issues." I haven't hand any 'smithing done on mine and I don't have the skills to do any myself, but in the reading and searching I've done, dimensions can be a little sketchy. Either the dimensions are basically there and are erratic across the entire production run (most likely), or the dimensions are off in some key places, so the basic items would likely be fine, but the internals might be a bit more work. The problem that most folks had back in the day was that most quality gun smiths didn't want to work on an inferior gun. The only place I can be more specific than that is with the ejector... unlike a standard 1911, this one is not pinned in place, it's welded, so to start from scratch it needs to be dremeled off and a new one held in place... somehow?

When I got mine (used) in '88, it wasn't the tightest slide to frame fit in the world, but it wasn't awful. The fit and feel is exacerbated somewhat by the fact that it is two inches longer, so it's even easier to see/feel any play in the fit. It wasn't incredibly accurate and the barrel bushing fit quite loose in the slide, so I replaced it with a Kart bushing that's fit so tight that it's nearly impossible to install/remove without a bushing wrench. And the bushing to barrel fit on this Kart piece is INCREDIBLE and it makes the gun run beautifully. It's accurate, it's reliable and it's a joy to shoot. I feed it lead semi-wadcutters pushed by 4.4 grains of Bullseye most often.

When this gun came out, it was one of the first (if not THE first) all stainless 1911 offered, and that was groundbreaking for the time. There have been many reports of galling between the slide and frame, but mine hasn't suffered that fate. It should be run at least a little wet. For the money I paid for this one in '88, I've been BLOWN AWAY by how good it's been to me. And if it cracks or falls apart the next time I shoot it, I wouldn't be able to complain. (I shoot this one as much as any center fire handgun in my safe)

For your needs, if you were somehow able to find one discounted that had a problem, I see no reason why you couldn't put the slide on a standard 1911 frame built by anyone. The barrel too, but as I said, Storm Lake will build a new one in 7 inches. As far as I can tell, the slide takes all the usual firing pin, extractor, parts etc. But you could also find a whole one used and try it out just as it is and go from there.

David the Gnome

Rock Island Armory Match 6" Long-Slide

AC-RI1911MATCH-B.jpg

$699 at Centerfire Systems

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911MATCH.aspx

That's the cheapest way to get a quality long-slide 1911. :)

OJ

There' an old saying among us old pilots that, if you get a plane or aircraft part that is free of flaws - it was made on Tuesday - workers were over their weekend hangover and hadn't started thinking about the next weekend - ;)

I bought this AMT Longslide 21 years ago and it was made on Tuesday. aMT did have QC problems but this one escaped. I've dressed it up for me but, it's been nearly as reliable as my Colt's Series 70 GM 45s.

P8100014_01.jpg

The 7" barrel and slide are mounted on a government size frame and it handles hot DT loads nicely. If you can find one, I doubt if breaking it in would be needed.

As for selling a gun and regretting it - I sold a gun in 1940 and have regretted it ever since and would never do that again. :rolleyes:

Jason_G

Traditionally, longslides have been bullseye guns, and as such, they were built by custom makers such as Jim Clark and others. Customarily, the words "longslide" and "affordable" do not play together nicely.

If you're looking for a plethora of choices, I am afraid you might be out of luck friend.

The only ones in production that I know of that are not full blown customs or semi customs are:

RIA: I don't have any experience with their longslide to offer you.
STI: Good, and built off an Armscor frame like the RIA's. Expensive.
AMT: Not in production, a spotty rep for reliability, and you'll have to hunt for one. I wouldn't even mention this one if it hadn't been mentioned already.

If you save up, you could get something like a Fusion, but you are talking beucoup $$ compared to a RIA or something in that category.

Maybe some others are out there that I am not thinking about, but that's all that comes to mind right now.

I wish you the best of luck though.

Jason

MosinM38

Those 6" barrel RIA's are tough to find.

I sorta looked around, and none of the "Usual" spots have them (Gunbroker, Auctionarms, gunshows,etc.).

But look good. And from their other gun I have (Well..High-standard. But same gun, differant name) a great gun.