1911 linkless barrel

zot

I know alot of .45s are made linkless, the Wittness alot of Italian's
came out with the JMB linkless .45s. but 20 years or so I remember a article about linkless 1911s. was there ever such a beast???:confused:

Navy joe

I was under the impression that the 1905 was a two-link barrel, front and rear, and when JMB returned w/ the 1911 the front link had been replaced by the bushing.

zot

okay, did anyone ever make a barrel system that was linkless and ramped for the 1911? bull barrel and reverse plug, when I
said JMB I meant more on the lines of Browning HP, maybe I day dreamed this, but I'm sure I saw it in some gun rag long ago.:confused:

James K

Member In Memoriam
Briley makes linkless barrels for the M1911 and clones. Brownells has them. Good idea, but a bit salty if I recall correctly.

Jim

Harley Nolden

Staff In Memoriam
Navy Joe:
Your impression was correct. My ans was incorrect. As I step out from under the carpet with my crainial structure stuck in my sphincter musle, I apologize for any inconvenience.

HJN:(

zot

Jim, what does a bit salty, mean?you said good idea, but what
is wrong with it?I allways thought the 1911 would be upgraded
to the Hi-Power design, even a 13 rd. mag.linkless barrel would be much simplified, and a stronger action, but everyone loves the 1911 as is, just wondering if many go this conversion?:confused:

Jim Watson

Lessee, now. Briley has a linkless gun, Storm Lake makes a conversion barrel, Springfield made a few 10mms on the Peters Stahl system (similar to H&K USP), but with a standard slide. There was the Omega, which was the whole Peters Stahl upper on a 1911 receiver.

I have a 9mm Jarvis Kam-Lok on a 1911. It is very finicky as to ammo; it needs round nose bullets for feeding and heavy bullets at transonic velocity for function. It is pretty much like loading a caliber of its own except for common brass. Perhaps I made a mistake getting it in 9mm for IDPA ESP and a heavier caliber would work better. I won't make such a mistake again. BHP, CZ, Sig, SigSauer, Glock, and H&K do just fine with linkless barrel unlocking, but my 1911s will keep their links.

If you want something really off the wall without a link, look at the NCG Gas Gun, or the Craig Vortak, with gas retardation like the H&K P7.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, Zot,

The barrel is $180 and it requires a special cutter to cut the frame out for it, for another $58 if your gunsmith does not have it. Go to www.brownells.com and search on "barrels" and "briley" for a look. AFAIK, the only thing wrong is the cost of the barrel and installation.

I have never installed one, perhaps George Stringer might be able to help if he has done them.

Of course, there are many other systems, including fixed barrel systems, cam type dropping barrels, tilting blocks, dropping blocks, toggle links, etc., etc., but I got the impression you were talking about barrels that would fit the 1911 and are available.

Jim