1911 Issue with Grips and Ambi Safety

Captains1911

I am trying to install new VZ grips on my SA Range Officer Elite which has an ambi safety. After I installed the grips and worked the safety up and down a few times, the safety got stuck in the up position. So, I removed the right grip and after wiggling the safety a bit it seemed to work again.

I inspected the right hand side of the safety and the cutout in the grip, and noticed that the thumb safety and the tab that fits and moves under the grip inside the cutout isn’t completely flush with the frame, and it was interfering with the grip, so I just assumed that the cutout in the grip isn’t quite deep enough. Then, as I was working the safety up and down with the grip removed, the right hand side of the safety just fell completely out of the gun.

So, do I have a grip issue or a safety issue? Is that right hand side of the safety supposed to sit flush against the frame, and what retains it other than the grip? Lastly, is the safety broken, or do I just need to reinstall it somehow? Thanks for the help.

RickB

The fit of the pin joint should be tight enough to prevent the safety from coming apart, even if the grip panel is removed.

Working the safety against the drag of the grip panel may have loosened the fit of the safety.

If the female half of the pin joint is intact, it can be gently, carefully squeezed together to restore the fit.
I use a small vise grip, so I can incrementally tighten it without risk of overdoing it.

If the interference with the grip is due to the cut being too shallow, use a small knife or other implement to deepen it.
IF the problem is that the "finger" on the safety is pressing outward heavily against the grip, bend it inward so that it doesn't rub so heavily.

Captains1911

Should the finger be flush, or almost flush, with the frame?
After fitting the part, how do you reinstall it, by just squeezing the two sides together with hand pressure, or gently tapping with a non marring hammer?

This is the gap I’m curious about.
ACB1_D77_E-_B9_CC-447_E-_ACE4-_F9_FA93_E3_E219.jpg

Last edited:

HiBC

With a non Ambi safety,the pin goes all the way through,it has to come out the left side,and its functionally trapped in the frame and via the plunger. It won't fall out.

The ambi-safety must be installed from both sides of the gun. John Moses did not plan on that.
They figured out the tongue and groove connection tomake the pin two piece.
Now how to keep the right hand side from falling out? Its an adaptation.A patch to solve the problem.

There are two systems. One system uses a flange that works under a recess milled in the underside of the grip. More than one supplier makes Ambi safeties,and they don't make grips. There will be some variation.Some skill may be required to do some minor fitting for free function,no interference.Properly installed,the grip panel overlaps the steel of the safety.
It can't fall out with the panel in place.

The other system uses an extended hammer pin,with what looks likea snap ring groove at the end. There will be a corresponding radial tee slot in the back side of the right hand safety.The end of the hammer pin retains the safety.
If you bought ambi-safety grips,milled for the first system,you may get confused if you have the grooved hammer pin system.You might be looking in the wrong place.Does you hammer pin protrude a bit on the right side? Is it grooved?

If the left side safety is falling out, you may want to look to see that you still have a plunger and spring in the plunger tube.
I'd agree,the gap says something is not right,.No,do not use a hammer. Don't force parts.

Look very carefully till you understand exactly how the parts work together.
See them work together in your mind.

Once you have that,the assembly may be a juggling act,but it will make sense.

And,of course,check the safety function when you are done.

Last edited:

Bilbo463

If it was my pistol I’d totally remove the thumb safety and do an inspection to make sure it has not been damaged.......then reinstall. In your picture the right side is clearly not mated with the left side safety and flush with the right side of the frame. If you’ve never totally disassembled this pistol, this may be the perfect time to give it a go. There are plenty of videos showing how it’s done. I can recommend one done by Wilson Combat.

T. O'Heir

I'd guess whoever put it in didn't fit it correctly. Most wee parts require fitting and are not drop in parts. That one isn't installed straight on the right side.

HiBC

O'Heir,if I understand his post correctly,his ambi safety is the factory original.
Which we would like to assume is fitted functionally correct.

IIRC,the change is a newest of grip panels.

I could be wrong,but my suspicion is the grip panels are cut for the style of ambi safety with the under grip flange. That could make for tunnel vision and confusion if its the grooved hammer pin type.Red herring.
Its a bit of a juggling act to insert the tongue and groove pin in the hole and rotate that radial tee slot onto the hammer pin. The tongue and groove connection is engaged,so the right and left paddle move together...all while you deal with the plunger and detent on the left.
The Ed Brown style uses the extended hammer pin with the groove to retain the right side safety.
The Wilson type uses the flange trapped under the grip.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-p...l-thumb-safety-prod74654.aspx?avs|Make_3=1911

Last edited:

RickB

The Springfield factory ambi is a straightforward "Swenson style" safety, with a tongue/groove pin joint, and an extension that fits behind the grip panel.

The two halves should fit nearly flush against the frame on both sides, and the pins should be shortened from the factory. I think even Springfields without ambis have the shortened hammer and sear pins.

HiBC

The Springfield factory ambi is a straightforward "Swenson style" safety, with a tongue/groove pin joint, and an extension that fits behind the grip panel.
OK. So much for that idea!.
Back to my assumption that the factory built the gun with those exact safety parts ,they were a known,pre-proven set of parts.
The OP is changing the grip panels.Those are the change.

Maybe the OP can check re-assembly with the original grips.

Captains1911

I can’t reinstall the factory grips because I already replaced the short bushings with standard ones, and the slots on two of the short bushings stripped during removal. Either way, the cutout under the grip panels for the safety tongue is the same depth on both the factory and EZ grips, so that isn’t the issue. The issue is the fact that the safety won’t sit flush against the frame. I’ve alresdy contacted SA and will be sending it to them to look at, the gun is almost brand new.