1911 in .357 Sig

Brian48

I've never done it personally, but I've read a few articles in the gun rags that went ahead with this project. Assuming you have a 10mm 1911 already, I assume you'd need a new barrel, springs for your loads of choice, and some 40SW/357Sig appropriate mags. Such a gun would handle 10mm, 40sw, and 357sig with just a barrel and mag swap.

If you have a 1911 in any other caliber, you'd need a complete upper swap and maybe even some modifications to the frame.

Dred

Has anyone done this? What would be needed to make this conversion?
At a minimum, you need a 357Sig barrel fitted in place of a 40 or 10mm barrel.

I have a 357Sig barrel fitted to my 10mm Dan Wesson Silverback. I dedicated a barrel bushing to each barrel, but that was not absolutely necessary for function.

It runs a treat, but 357Sig has gotten ridiculously expensive - even compared to 10mm ammo pricing. $1 / round target ammo just sucks - maybe plan to roll your own.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

RickB

For a gun already a 10mm or .40, perhaps only a barrel.
Some manufacturers use the same slide for .40/10 as for .38 Super, so that conversion, Super to 357, would require a barrel and mags.

GE-Minigun

Sig made the Nightmare and Emperor Scorpion both Full and Commander size in 357. Have to ask why a conversion and not a “whole” gun?

44 AMP

Staff
Unless you already have a .357 Sig and want another gun to shoot the same ammo, I don't see the point to a 1911 style gun in .357 Sig.

74A95

I think gmarr was asking what mechanical aspects are involved in making a conversion.

I don't think gmarr was asking for opinions on whether people think they should do it. I imaging gmarr can make that decision on their own.

bamaranger

check

An honest 1425-1450 fps with a 125 JHP, that's pretty hot and is real .357 mag country and easily exceeds most .38 Super factory loadings.

The article claims .357SIG 1911 barrels are available but does not give a source.

HiBC

I'm pretty sure a 9x25 Dillon is a necked down 10mm.

I've looked into it a bit. It has to do with Colorado's 15 round limit. I have a nice Tru-Comp 38 Super Commander length barrel and a Caspian double stack frame. I found a supply of 10mm 15 round magazines that will work.
The TruComp bbl is an STI bull with the comp machined integral

38 Super mags wont ship to Colorado as they are over 15 rd capacity.

I can connect the dots chambering my 38 Super barrel to 9x25 and using 15 rd EAA 10mm mags in the Caspian frame . Its not a high priority project right now,but I have the parts and 5 mags.
I'd actually prefer to go 38 Super Comp . 9x25 is a bit "Out There"
Maybe SCOTUS will resolve the magazine issue. Time will tell.

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
Aside from the parts needed, which is a straight forward technical matter, I have to wonder why go with a .357 Sig in a "1911"??

My curiosity about the choice is because of the way I look at things, which isn't always bottom $ driving my choices, nor am I constrained by "practical" necessity.

Unless otherwise specified, to me a "1911" refers to the full size (5") Govt Model gun. So now I'm left wondering why the .357 Sig? If tis round count, other guns offer more. If its the power of the round getting you into "real .357" country, and you're looking at a full size gun, that makes me wonder, if its the power you're after, why not go with a real .357?

There is one very close to the 1911Govt model, in both size and design, the Coonan.

The Coonan I have is 1/4" longer, 1/3" taller and 1/4" thicker than my Colt Govt model .45acp.

For me, that just enough of a difference that you notice it is slightly bigger, but not enough to matter in any practical way. THe advantages are the ability to shoot full .357 loads, jacketed or lead, and the gun can be converted to shoot .38 Special as well.

Downside? rare, oddball, not easy to get and of course $$$.
The other .357 semi auto pistols are significantly bigger and heavier. But if you want FULL .357 power, they are currently, the only options.

The LAR Grizzly in .357 Magnum is a "real" 1911 design, though stretched and beefed up at points. Some standard 1911 parts can be used. WHEN found it can be either a 5" or 6" which give very good velocity figures.

Sadly, the LAR Grizzly is long out of production, so getting one isn't easy (or cheap).

The Desert Eagle in .357 is a real beast. HUGE and HEAVY, but accurate, low recoil, and will handle the hottest JACKETED bullet loads. Downside, besides the size and weight are the trigger isn't quite as good as a 1911 can be, and you cannot use lead bullets and the gun isn't "adjustable" to ligher loads.

IF you are impressed by a .357 Sig making 1450fps with a 125gr from a 5" I would expect a 5" Coonan or Grizzly in .357 to deliver a bit more, and I know that my 6" Desert Eagle will take a 125gr JHP past 1700fps, as I've done it.

There's no free lunch, so what is the object, to get the most power "practical" from a 1911 pattern, and size gun (practical by your personal standards), or getting the .357 power from a semi auto pistol?

bamaranger

"objective"

I don't really have an objective, I just joined the discussion. A "1911" is a full size 5" handgun to me as well.

For discussions sake, a handgun to me is just that, implying a relatively easy carrying , convenient weapon. The 1911 is pretty much the ceiling of that to me, anything larger is too big. So that rules out the Eagle of course, and likely the Coonan, though the comments on it being essentially the same size are duly noted. I've never handled one........fact is I don't know if I've ever seen one in the flesh.

Regards velocity, my thought was the 5" bbl would do better than shorter tubes as found in say the P220 or G20

Jim Watson

One gunzine writer assembled a multi-caliber 1911oid with all feasible barrels and slides. Everything worked out fine... except .357 Sig, even though 10mm and .40 were ok.

Unless your agency supplies .357 SIG, a .38 Super or 9x23 would be superior for the handloader.

44 AMP, for all intents and purposes, you're right. My question is, why not?

AR platforms are continually being introduced with different cartridges. Glock started with 9mm, if memory serves. The HS2000, now known as the XD, started in 9mm. Look at those platforms, now, on their offerings of cartridges.

A casual 1911 fanatic like me would jump on one like a pack of dogs on a 3-legged cat if a manufacturer was able to make it work in a 1911 platform. I have 1911 variants in .45ACP (duh!), 9mm, and 10mm. I'm targeting a couple of years before I'm in position to buy a Les Baer in .38Super.

In the end; why? Because we CAN!

44 AMP

Staff
44 AMP, for all intents and purposes, you're right. My question is, why not?

Why not? the only reasons I can see are things like keeping the lights on, keeping the family fed, kids get shoes, etc. If you've got the funds and the interest, then go for it. The list of "unusual" and even "impractical" things I've bought into, just so I could see for myself what they did and didn't do isn't a short one. IF your interest is to see, for yourself, what it is, and isn't, that is as valid as any reason anyone can come up with.

I just wonder, why bother??

Perhaps my bias stems from the fact that I have had personal experience with "Govt model" pistols in 9mm, .38 Super, .45acp, .400 Cor-bon and even the .38/45 Clerke, so, perhaps becuase of that I wonder "why bother"?