1911 holster

ƒORTE

It seems the gear section is rarely used so posting here mods. Looking for an IWB. I like the Comptac Infidel, but don't know how kydex will wear on the gun. Give some suggestions for less than $70 please.

wjkuleck

don't know how kydex will wear on the gun

If you don't want holster wear on the gun, leave it in the safe, or so Clint Smith advises.

Leather is "softer," but leather collects debris that is often harder than the gun's finish.

I just carry the pistol and don't worry about finish wear. I like a nice patina on a used pistol.

Regards,

Walt

WESHOOT2

'marks'

The marks holsters leave are not really "wear"; they are just "marks".

BFD.

Or, as aptly stated above, leave it in the safe.

All guns show marks if holstered and reholstered (like if you actually practice), regardless of holster design and/or material.

CortJestir

For IWB, I'd also recommend a Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe, a CompTac C-TAC, or the venerable Milt Sparks VMII - the latter two are above your price range, however, but worth checking out. I have three SuperTuck Deluxes and each time I buy a new gun to carry, I order one a few weeks in advance to have it ready and waiting.

And I'll parrot what's been said: don't get caught up on holster wear or you'll never carry.

ƒORTE

I always treat new guns like babies. After the initial signs of wear or marks, I still treat them well but use them as they were meant to used. I know all holsters wear, just want to keep it looking new as long as possible. Let me rephrase which type holsters IYO wear on a guns finish the least?

CortJestir

Well, IMHO ;), it's all about the dirt.

Opinions abound on what wears the least. But there are a few things folks agree on: 1) All holsters wear; 2) to lessen wear, wipe your holster and gun down everyday to prevent dirt accumulation and; 3) the more you holster and re-holster, the more wear. I wouldn't let the last one interfere with your practice regimen, however.

My personal opinion? I prefer Kydex for the holster and leather for a body shield/comfort. That's why I find the hybrid holsters like Crossbreed's and Comp-Tac's so appealing. They're easy to clean, super comfortable, quick to the draw and have good retention. Oh and they conceal well, too! ;)

BigJimP

Kramer horsehide will give you the least wear - but you won't find a Kramer holster under $70. But check them out at a local shop / or they have a webpage too.

WESHOOT2

$25 total 'invested' in two

My Uncle Mikes Kydex Belt Holsters (one leftie, one rightie) have limited contact with my guns, and only show marks where they touch.

Galco also offers an inexpensive plastic example.

Musketeer

K&D Dakota Defender

dakota-defender-1-bg-s.jpg

http://kdholsters.com/iwb-defend.php
Dakota Defender - This holster provides an open top, clip onto the belt, style. The clips allow adjustment of both the depth of the holster, as well as the cant of the holster. It is also available with the traditional leather loops in place of the clips. The leather loops are attached along the top edge of the holster. It includes a suede-lined backing for added comfort. It is available for small, medium, and full size autos.

Price - $70.00

I carry a 5" 1911 in one and love it.

Musketeer

Oh, and the K&D can be worn tucked and has a variety of clips available. I use C clips with a black belt and pants to make it invisible.