1911 Holster for Open Carry?

Lee6113

Hi there, I have a question. If I had a 1911 full sized pistol, and wished to open carry in condition 1 (cocked and locked), are there any holster options for OWB with level 2 retention?

This is a theoretical question as I do not own a 1911 yet. I'm just curious if there are holster options for that scenario and/or if it is generally fdrowned upon.

Thanks,

Lee

Edit: I was thinking specifically of some sort of thumb break design. I suppose other methods may be available I hadn't thought of. Either way, I'd love to read all responses.

Last edited:

Sharkbite

Ive carried a Blackhawk Serpa's in a soft uniform with a 1911 pistol exposed.

Not concealed (open carried) with a tucked in Polo shirt and 5-11 type pants.

Im NOT a fan of civilian open carry, but if thats the only option, then i agree some tupe of retention holster should be used.

The Serpa has a passive locking system and a fairly intuitive release mechanism. With proper training and practice it is a good choice

Kreyzhorse

So i think you are just looking for a type of thumb strap retention?

I use a Galco Fletch High Ride. Thumb strap, rides well anf the gun is secure. Lots of similar options out there as well.

lefteye

Mitch Rosen 5JR with Thumb Break is a high quality leather holster available in 5 different colors and is custom made for your handgun. Price excluding shipping is $175. Approximate delivery time is three months.