1911 - hardest part to conceal

youngun

Seems like in general people have the most trouble concealing the butt of the 1911- or any pistol I guess.
For me, it's the beavertail/hammer.
Seems to really stick out there more than anything else.
4:00 - 5:00 it's no prob, but getting around to 3:00 it really starts showing.
The butt, on the other hand, seems to disappear pretty easy in me. Is this just me?
Some custom gun maker did a mod whereby the spur was cut off the hammer, and the beavertail was all but removed.
Anybody see this? I'm thinking something along these lines, with maybe a shroud for what's left of the hammer, made by extending the slide (might even get a little longer sight radius) and rounding all the edges, would make an excellent CCW. Put it on an officer's frame with the new Bobtail (tm) and you're invisible.
Downsides
  • can't cock the gun w/o racking the slide - seems only good for dry-firing anyway, so not such a big deal on a dedicated carry gun.
  • $$$ - who's gonna forge the slide for you? - or is there another way....
  • possible issue with "slide bite" depending on how the shroud was set up.

stans

Bobbing the standard spur or commander hammer used to be a popular modification before the advent of the beavertail safety. Beavertails do increase the length of the gun. I think Detonics used a bobbed spur hammer and a bobbed grip safety on their little 1911's and this did reduce the overall length of the gun.

JPM70535

If you want an Officers size 1911 try the Para Ordnance C6-45 LDA. It has a bobbed hammer and almost no beavertail. Hides extremely well and then there is that super trigger pull. Nothing like it.

9x19

Given that a "tuned" 1911 often has the hammer resting on as little as .018" of the sear nose... that beavertail that curls up to prevent any kind of blow to the rear of the cocked hammer might seem somewhat comforting... As a broken sear might not catch the half-cock either.

Just a thought... :D

youngun

Deputy Tom - right on!
9x19, you have a good point, and after looking my gun over a little more, it seems you'd just need a highly modified beavertail instead of a shroud. One that came up and cupped what was left of the hammer. Doing that knock off one of the "downsides" and it could be designed tocurl up nice and tight, maybe even remove some of the frame there at the safety pin.
We're talking about a lot less money now.
Hmmmm.....