1911 Hammer

Tanzer

I recently purchased a Kimber 1911. My first 1911, by the way. I always like to make sure I clean every crack and crevice of any gun I own. With this gun, that means pulling back the hammer and swabbing in between. Eventually, I want the hammer forward again. Am I causing any damage, slide on or off, by pulling the trigger to bring the hammer forward? Some DAO's don't recommend dry firing, but then again, it's not necessary in cleaning.

BigO01

I dry fire all my guns but in some they recommend Snap Caps so I use them when the manual says so .

If a part in a 1911 breaks dry firing in my opinion that part was substandard and I would rather it break dry firing and replace it than have it happen when I need gun .

mattgreennra

I never dry fire any of my guns except my XD. I buy snap caps for rifles and pistols alike. If you are obsessive, like me, break the kimber down all the way and clean it w/ (a little) gun scrubbe, q-tips, and gun patches. That seems to get it 100% clean for me. Also, hoppe's is the bomb.

auto45

Dry firing a 1911 is fine. But, the slide must be on with the FP stop, etc.

If the slide is off, the hammer stikes an "edge" on the frame and it will "deform" that area. So, hold the hammer back, pull the trigger and ease the hammer down in that case.

Tanzer

Mossin 44...

W/O the slide on, I would hold it & ease the hammer, but I was wondering if that was necessary. Auto 45 answered that for me. I think I'll just ease it all the time to be safe.
Thanks Folks.