1911 Grip Angles Are They All They Same?

roger-ruger

Funny, but when I first held a kimber in my hand it just feels funny and funky. Grip angle to point of aim of front sight seemed higher than most 1911s. Norinco and Para seem to have just the right degree of angle, i would say - just the same. Was it me or kimber?

Bill DeShivs

The grip angles are the same. How the gun feels is dependent on whether it has an arched, or flat, mainspring housing.
Bill

brickeyee

If you changed the angle it would not be a 1911, and standard magazines would not fit and feed.
You can change how the gun feels in the hand ny altering the mainspring housing and the grip safety.
Trigger length can change the feel slightly.

AK103K

As Bill said, the main spring housings make quite a bit of difference. I personally prefer the arched, and they all seem to want to put flat ones on them theses days.

If your used to Springfield's, the grip may also feel "smaller". Springfield's frames are often not to spec, and are bigger in the grip and dust cover.

WESHOOT2

not just flat or arched

IMO the most important part of 1911 'feel' is how it gets shaped under the trigger guard, and its beavertail grip safety.

That's my 'feel'.
Each manufacturer does it differently; the S&W 1911 feels good, as does my Caspian frame.
I modified oneamy SA 1911's with file and 'paper to 'feel' perfect, for me.