1911 Full guide rod or Original short

pdiamajr

Is there any difference between the Full guide rod and the short. I have a PT1911 and I want to replace it with the short. Also what LBS recoil spring to use. I hope guys you can help me decide.

APD221

Beyond personal preference and making takedown easier, I've not heard anything relating to accuracy or reliability if that is what you're asking.

APD221

Well then, as for accuracy, I have not heard anything negative about either setup. If anything the FLGR will add a tad bit of weight to the front end.

IZinterrogator

For the recoil spring on a Government model, 16 pounds is the standard. A lot of people run 17 pound springs for more positive feeding and 18.5 pound springs if they shoot a lot of +P ammo.

Kreyzhorse

A FLGR adds a touch of weight but makes take down harder. Other than that, I don't feel there are any reasons to use a FLGR. I actually took it out of my SA TRP and replaced it with a standard length. There is no difference in accuracy or performance.

rgillis

I have to agree with Krezyhorse. I've never noticed any real difference in accuracy between standard plug or full length guide rod. Given the choice between the two options I would elect to go without a FLGR.

Superhouse 15

Mythbusters

This was a topic for debate around the gunshop counter one day. I have a two piece FLGR in my Colt 1991 stainless, one of my common CCW guns. I fired it with the guide rod in place, then with the front of the guide rod removed, then with a GI style short guide in it. We also tested it with and without a Wilson Shock Buffer in it, I use one of those. While the Shock Buff seemed to make no difference, the gun was more accurate by a small but noticeable amount with the FLGR in it. Ammo was the same, same shooter, same conditions. It was only one gun and it has a lot of custom work, but those were the results.

guntotin_fool

FLGR's gained popularity during the early years or raceguns where people were really messing with the basic setups of the guns. Things like 135 gr. SWC loads. 8 pound recoil springs. Comps. All off this caused problems no one expected. The only place for a FLGR is on a race gun where spring kinking has been an issue.

Tom2

Someone did an X ray movie of the 1911 firing sequence and determined the kinking recoil spring was a myth, at least in a normal setup. Weird springs or something, who knows? You can get extra heavy weight or mercury filled rods to add weight and reduce muzzle flip, for faster comp. followup shots, I guess. Or a laser sight that is a full length rod, in effect, but I stick to the GI configuration.

bigghoss

I like the original style just to make take down easier and I want to get one of them fancy neato engraved spring plugs.

something I just learned recently. the original style plug was designed so that if lost in the field a spent .45 case could be used as a substitute.

Sturmgewehre

This was a topic for debate around the gunshop counter one day. I have a two piece FLGR in my Colt 1991 stainless, one of my common CCW guns. I fired it with the guide rod in place, then with the front of the guide rod removed, then with a GI style short guide in it. We also tested it with and without a Wilson Shock Buffer in it, I use one of those. While the Shock Buff seemed to make no difference, the gun was more accurate by a small but noticeable amount with the FLGR in it. Ammo was the same, same shooter, same conditions. It was only one gun and it has a lot of custom work, but those were the results.
Unless you tested out of a Ransom Rest, your findings aren't even close to being scientific.

Here's a proper test done in American Handgunner Magazine. They used a Ransom Rest and the GI setup was more accurate.

FLGR_Test.png

The whole article can be found here.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_165_27/ai_105698456

In the end they found the FLGR really did a whole lot of nothing for the gun. It didn't really kill accuracy nor did it improve it. They serve no purpose.

Last edited:

guntotin_fool

spring kinking does happen with 8 or 9 pound springs, i have several in drawer I can show you. as I said, it was only in race guns where it was a problem, but it was a way for a parts maker to turn a 3 dollar part into a 27 dollar profit.

They serve no purpose.

I think you mean to state that they serve no additional purpose as they obviously serve the purpsoe of being a guide rod for the recoil spring.

With that said, they do serve the additional purpose of adding muzzle weight and hence reducing muzzle flip. The amount of the reduction depends on the weight of the FLGR. Tungsten does more than regular stainless steel.

Sturmgewehre

The recoil spring needs no guide. The minute amount of weight they add does little to help manage recoil. They serve no useful purpose.

Well, unless you consider looking "cool" purposeful.

Sturm, it serves the same purpose as the plug, doesn't it? Yes, it does. What does the plug do? It controls or guides the spring by keeping it in place.

As for the recoil, what you think is negligible is just what you think. A tungsten guide rod certainly makes a noticeable difference.