1911 Full Disassembly Frequency

chris downs

How often are we doing complete disassembly of the slide (firing pin and ejector)?

How often for the frame?

I would assume the answer would be some number of rounds. But if in storage, how long (I assume years) between teardowns? Thanks.

pete2

I don't think I've ever done a complete disassembly just to clean a 1911. The guts stay pretty clean. drop or 2 of Breakfree and keep shooting. I have taken them apart to do mods but never found mine to be very dirty. Same same S&W revolvers.

RickB

When I was shooting more of my guns every year, I'd detail strip and clean annually, which would mean between 500-5000 rounds.
If the gun is sitting in the safe, it gets a field-strip cleaning annually.
Ideally, that results in no guns in the safe that are dirty, but which won't be shot in the next couple of months.

buddyd157

i only do the typical field strip for cleaning and lube. i do this after EVERY range visit, whether i shoot 25 rds, or 50, or 100.

as far as cleaning the extractor port, and the firing pin port, i'll wait till i get about 3,000 rds like Bill Wilson recommends.

to which, i have already bought the scrub brush for those two channels/ports

Amegatek

When I still had a 1911, I did a full detail strip annually. Also, field stripped and cleaned after every range trip. That is my SOP for all my guns.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

JDBerg

Years ago when I took the NRA Basic Handgun Safety course, the instructor advised us to get our guns armored or DCOA serviced at least once a year, in addition to regular field strip cleaning & lubing.

Since a 1911 always requires more intensive maintenance than an average Glock, a 1911 that sees regular range use should probably get this detailed service at least 2X annually. But as always, YMMV.

Chris Downs said:
How often are we doing complete disassembly of the slide (firing pin and ejector)?
In the 1911, the ejector is mounted on the frame. I assume you mean the extractor.

In storage? I never do a complete take-down for a pistol that has been in storage since it was last shot and cleaned.

DaleA

Welp, color me neglectful but when I was shooting a couple 1911 pistols a lot, way back when, I took one of them down all the way just to prove I could do it.
It wasn't really difficult.
Never done it since and both still shoot fine. Except for that one time all I've ever done is field strip and clean.

redlightrich

I sometimes disassemble the lower of my 1911 and clean and lube, but not often. I would say after thousands of rounds, but it was never necessary. I mostly field strip. The lower on a 1911 doesn't get that dirty. One manufacturer claims it shouldn't be disassembled beyond field strip. i am not certain, but it may have been Ruger. What they meant was it only should come apart for repair, not general cleaning.

That is how I do it.

Good luck

Rich

SIGSHR

Only done it once, my Colt Mark IV locked up me, debris and residue in the trigger channel.
A complete disassembly, proper cleaning, proper reassembly, good to go.

Mike38

For my 1911s, I remove the slide to clean the bore, firing pin channel and extractor and wipe away the big chunks every 300 to 500 rounds. I have never completely stripped down the frame. Thousands, tens of thousands of rounds, and have never completely stripped the frame down. My 'newest' 1911 is 21 years old now. A Q-Tip dipped in some CLP, wipe out the big chunks, put it back together. Same for my Beretta 92FS. With that said, I do not treat my carry pistols this way. They stay clean.

44 AMP

Staff
GI 1911s and A1s were built so that they could be detail stripped without tools other than one "tool" that could be a pencil, a twig, a rifle bullet, or your bootlace, etc.

That being said, USERS were not authorized to detail strip the pistol. Field strip, yes. Detail strip, no.

The Army has some strange rules, but they have their reasons. :rolleyes:

John D

I am the worst gun cleaner....my pistols go 100's of rounds before cleaning. Other than my carry pistols, all the remainder are for target shooting. While I keep my carry pistols well cleaned and lubricated, the others go a long time between sessions. I find cleaning firearms to be tedious; once I start, I usually end up cleaning several weapons and, frankly, feel good about it after. But, after every shooting session, no way! Don't know if I'm in the minority or just willing to admit this!!

I've had my Springfield Mil Spec 1911-A1 since... mid 1990s....

Put a BUNCH of rounds through it, mainly LRN handloads.

I've only ever done a full disassembly once.

burrhead

I shot club level IDPA for about five years with a Colt Government. The only mods to that gun are an ambi TS, sights, and an action job using the stock Colt parts. Practiced twice a week with about 150 rounds per session; 300 rounds a week, +/- 15,000 per year. I used 230gr LRNs with 4gr of BE exclusively.

Once a week I’d run a few patches through the bore, wipe off the feed ramp and lightly lube. Every so often I’d clean the extractor and firing pin channels, that was it. Replace recoil and mag springs when needed, every three months or so.

Once a year I’d detail strip, replace the extractor and all the springs except the main spring. I detailed mainly to look for excessive wear, there was never enough crude to worry about. At this point I’d guess that pistol has something over 100K rounds through it and the only parts replaced have been extractors and springs. It’s sort of retired but I still carry it on occasion and trust it completely.

Most people here clean excessively and for their own entertainment rather than need. Whatever floats you boat.

Ed4032

It’s actually a lot of fun if you’re into that sort of thing. Being OCD helps too. But it’s not really necessary.

Kevin Rohrer

How often for the frame?

Every time I clean it, which is after each and every firing session. The extractor cakes-up w/ carbon and its tunnel gets pretty dirty. Not so w/ the firing pin and its tunnel, but I do it anyway as it is already out.

Never.

torrejon224

Easy to do? Absolutely. Necessary? Probably not unless you are shooting thousands of rounds yearly. Older 1911s were designed to be taken apart with no tools but newer models are built to stricter tolerances and parts can have a tendency to fly if you are not careful. Honestly, if you really need to see how simple the 1911 is then by all means go for it. Just have a readily available guide to help you reassemble if something goes wrong and do not mess with anything meaning put it back how you found it! Playing with the sear spring or anything else could lead to trouble..

STORM2

Without stirring up the usual Colt ignition version/s which I’m sure will follow, allow me to suggest: IF you own a Gold Cup dated in the 1970s and early 1980s, be aware some variations contain a couple of surprises for the uninformed. There exists a very small spring, the depressor spring (AKA: The Jesus Spring) a depressor and a sear designed to engage and provide spacing for the additional parts to function. IF you own or think you own one of these guns much information and several well done videos are out there to guide you through this weed patch. There are only two kinds of folks who have removed that spring. Those who have lost it and found it and those who lost it and had to beg for a new one. You will find much info about leaving the parts out. That’s just a cop out. Be brave, earn the T Shirt.
....bet some of you didn’t think I could say it with out using the word “Series”.