1911 Front Sight roll pin

Koda94

Original Springfield Loaded factory front sight roll pin drilled crooked... because of this I cant install the new front sight I want.

Whats the best solution?

I also need a new roll pin, can anyone tell me what size it is?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Selection_001.jpg
    Selection_001.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 386

Scorch

You don't need a roll pin to hold a front sight in place. Just buy a front sight with the proper dovetail and fit it tightly. The roll pin is a fix for sloppy tolerances and sloppy mass production. Several gunmakers do this: front sight is loose in the dovetail, so put a roll pin in to hold it in place. :confused: About as good as the manufacturers who LocTite their sights in place. Have you ever tried to adjust handgun sights that are LocTited in place?

Koda94

You don't need a roll pin to hold a front sight in place. Just buy a front sight with the proper dovetail and fit it tightly. The roll pin is a fix for sloppy tolerances and sloppy mass production. Several gunmakers do this: front sight is loose in the dovetail, so put a roll pin in to hold it in place. :confused: About as good as the manufacturers who LocTite their sights in place. Have you ever tried to adjust handgun sights that are LocTited in place?

If I have to I will take it to a smith but I'm hoping to avoid handfitting. I'm comfortable inserting roll pins.

Koda94 said:
Original Springfield Loaded factory front sight roll pin drilled crooked... because of this I cant install the new front sight I want.

Whats the best solution?
Weld up the original hole using TIG welds from the top and the underside. Re-mill the upper and lower surfaces, then drill a new hole that's straight.

ocharry

think i would call Springfield and see what they say,,,,they just might want it back to fit a new slide ,,,worth a call,,,,if they do want it back,,,you could have some other stuff done on their shipping dime,,,maybe pin the ejector,,,some are glued in,,,maybe a trigger job,,,who knows they may even put the sight you want on for free

my .02

ocharry

Clemson

Size is 1/16. You may have to shorten whatever you come up with to fit. As long as the sight is centered in the dovetail, the cockeyed hole is not going to hurt anything.

dahermit

Weld up the original hole using TIG welds from the top and the underside. Re-mill the upper and lower surfaces, then drill a new hole that's straight.
Welding would most certainly require a re-blue job. Does he really want to go that route when they may be cheaper alternatives (like ignore/leave the hole alone, locktite the new sight into posistion).

Koda94

Stainless slide so no need to worry about rebluing. Any new sight is going to have the hole drilled perpendicular so it will never line up with the slanted hole in the frame and thus will never be secure unless I order an oversized sight that requires hand fitting. All I wanted was a night sight up front.

A quick rant is its really frustrating how such a simple task as drilling a straight hole is screwed up on a gun that costs almost a grand to buy is inexcusable, and this isnt the first expensive 1911 Ive had basic manufacturing defects on. What is it about 1911s they need to charge so much when machining technology is at its finest since the guns invention over 100yrs ago?

I should probably call Springfield to give them a chance to rectify this first, I dred the idea of fitting a new slide (Ive actually gone thru that warranty repair with another 1911 and it didnt end well...) or sending the gun in via mail over a simple sight replacement. Theres just no way to properly fix this privately thru a local smith that wont cost me way more than the trouble of some new sights. I think weld the hole and redrill is the only option and thats not gonna be cheap.

44 AMP

Staff
I'm even more out of date, my Government Model has the front sight staked, just like the GI 1911A1s. :eek:

No dovetail

No pin

No need...:rolleyes:

Scorch

I already told you, get the proper size sight and fit it tight. No need for the roll pin. Buy a Trijicon or Novak or Ameriglo and put it in tight. Springfield and Ed Brown and Kimber make their front sights undersized so they can pin them.