1911 for under 1K

GojuBrian

When I ask about 1911's people usually suggest a kimber, colt,dan wesson, smith and wesson,etc...high dollar 1911's (but not the highest by far).

Now, what is so great about these compared to a para, taurus, or springfield?

Thoughts from 1911 owners appreciated. :)

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
More money for a 1911 generally (very generally) means three things:

1) Better materials quality. Forgings instead of castings; machined small parts instead of MIM; that sort of thing.

2) Better cosmetic fit and finish. Flats are flat instead of wavy; rounds are smooth and evenly radiused; checkering and serrations are even and not full of straggly overruns.

3) Better mechanical fit and finish. "Fit and Finish" isn't just cosmetic froofery; the slide should travel smoothly along the rails without either excessive play or binding; lockup should be consistent with no sign of battering on lugs or barrel feet.

In short, though, if one can't tell the difference between a Rock Island and a Rock River, it's probably safe to get the Rock Island.

MLeake

New Dan Wesson

I just picked up a DW CBOB .45. Fit and finish are beautiful. It's my first "match" grade 1911, and the first 1911 I've ever used that requires a bushing wrench for disassembly and reassembly.

So far, I've put about 300 rounds through it, without a single FTE/FTF/FTRB. As tight as it is, it doesn't bind. I've shot reliable 1911's before, and I've shot tight 1911's before, but this is the first one I've shot that is both reliable and tight.

These sell new in my area for just over $1k, and are worth every penny (in fact, with so many parts being Ed Brown, it would cost more to build one from parts than it costs to buy the assembled pistol).

hdawson228

Consider the Springfield 1911 Milspec. Excellent piece and a lifetime warranty also great customer service if every needed.:cool:

sholling

Tamara is right on. But another thing to keep in mind is factory support. Less of a big deal to old hands with a skilled local gunsmith handy but a very big deal when a new 1911 owner is stuck with a lemon.

yrralguthrie

1911's

The difference between the various 1911's is similar to the differences between an economy car and a luxury car.

All work well for the task. If used lightly all last about the same. If used a lot then the luxury car will look better longer and will do the job with more comfort and panache.

A Rock Island is a good 1911, will shoot reliably and fairly straight. The fit and finish is not as good as a Kimber(Cadillac) or Les Baer(Rolls). In ten years the Rock Island will likely be worth a little more than what you can get one today. The Kimber or Les Baer will likely double in price.

The Kimber and guns of that ilk will shoot more accurately out of the box also, since they will have better triggers and match grade barrels. More care is taken in the fit and finish. It doesn't take much hand labor to dramatically raise the price of a gun.

Assuming 100 % (of anything) is the goal. 50 % is easy, 80 % attainable. The last 20 % is harder than the first 80%. I consider a Rock Island about 60-70 percent good. A Springfield with bells and whistles 85%, a Kimber 88%.

ljg

ljg

KrGunmanC

I purchased a Springfield Armory 1911 A1 in February for 740.
The gun is the "loaded" model and has shot very nice.
If you have the money I suggest a kimber, if you don't then try and find one from Springfield armory or Sig.

GeauxTide

I bought a Mil-Spec Springfield a few years ago and have upgraded after 500 rounds through it. I'm up to Trigger Job, Combat Hammer, Ambi-Safety, Combat sights. Your choice. A new Mil-Spec will have better sights.......

michael t

Dan Wesson bobtail best buy for the money Then a Colt S&W Springfield Kimber leave in box at dealer

Lower price MetroArms American Classic ,Firestorm , Rock Island or any of the other Armscor made 1911's

shortwave

YMMV but I`d put Para`s standards above Kimbers anyday. Kimbers are beautifuly designed but I`ve had a couple reliability/service dept. issue`s with them. That being said I`d also put the DW and the older Colts a step above the Para or say Springfields as far as fit and functioning smooth.

Last edited:

bgdv1

ive bought 2 just recently, a springfield mil spec for my son and a springfield loaded for me, so far so good. my loaded is tighter than the mil spec. paid more also.

Attachments

• IMG00047.jpg
    IMG00047.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 23

goose13

I just put a deposit down on a Kimber Pro Carry II stainless. It is brand new and one of my local ranges was selling it for $800