1911 For me....???

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Okay call me a cheap ass or just a po' azz redneck.... I would just love to own a 1911 in .45 acp.
I know I cannot afford one brand spankin' new. Nice condition used suits me just fine. What make and model would be lower priced yet as durable as a Mack truck? And are these clone 1911's fully interchangeable no matter the brand? Or are some brands just totally brand specific? some more interchangeable than others? I am not after any super hot rod pistol. Just basically as accurate as an original first generation service weapon. I am tossing all the questions out as I am sure I don't know the right ones to ask so ya'll can read them all and figure out what I am basically trying to ask for... Thanks to all ya'll 1911 gurus for the help!
Brent

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
RIA? That how I look them up? I would really like to have 3-4 hundred total out the door if that were possible...
Brent

AZta2guy

Rock Island Armory. they are a brazilian comapny. NIB they are in your budget for a basic no frills gi model. Springfield cam be had for a bit more. the RIA that I own is a great shooter. But that is all it is for me a shooter. Not my primary pistol.

ETA: they are interchangable with aafter market goodies should you decide to do that. But as they come they are good pistils to have a lot of fun with.

Last edited:

presidingglock

I can also recommend the Philippine made RIA line of pistols. It is a great shooter. The same company (Armscor the maker of RIA) that made the STI Spartan.

evan1293

I'd look for a used one in that price range. I've seen slightly used kimber custom IIs for just under $500 in my area.

ShootingNut

hogdogs

As AZta mentioned, the RIA would be a good choice, never owned one myself but others like them. Here is a heck of a buy on one ($380), delivered price to a FFL near your home. The cost to transfer varies greatly, so check around.
I had quotes from $8.00 to $100 (Gander Mtn.), needless to say the guy does many at 8 bucks for the paperwork.
https://www.shootersjax.com/default.aspx
Regards,
SN

Last edited:

scoutleader

The RIA in a great gun, I have two myself. Also check with your local guns shops there are alot more used pistols around now due to the election. I picked up a nice Kimber that a guy was going to trade for a HI Cap glock. Also if you can find an old Norinco cheap they are a great buy too.

Sarge43

RIA is a great choice in that price range. You can shoot them out of the box and then customize them as you have the desire and cash to do so. They've developed a solid rep in the "less money" column of 1911's. You shouldn't (and can't) expect them to be the smooth shooters that the higher priced 1911's are but they are a great base pistol for a good price.
Good luck!
Sarge

Smaug

hogdogs - I've been thinking about this too. (after spending a couple hours cleaning a couple of revolvers :mad: )

I had great experience with our Charles Daly Hi-Power. Bought new old stock a few months ago. Great gun, and made in the USA, $350!

I noticed that Daly makes 1911s too, and that their warranty sounds pretty bold & supporting.

I've had a Glock; just can't shoot them well enough to satisfy my hobbyist side at the range. The spongy trigger kind of ruins it. The DA/SA pistols are fine, except for the first shot. I've thought about CZs because they can be cocked & locked. Some Sigs & HKs can too, but they are mega-bucks.

Also, I really like the 45 ACP cartridge.

The Daly 1911s go for around $400 new, from budsgunshop.com. That's what I'm leaning toward, but I think I'll read up at the 1911 forum before buying.

Here's a link to Daly's page on their 1911s. I haven't read the magazine reviews yet. (for whatever they're worth)

AZta2guy

IMHO RIA is a better 1911. The Daly that I had needed a lot of tuning to get to run well. My RIA ran out of the box and ran well. It did have a few minor hic ups but they worked out as more round were shot.

Last edited:

Smaug

How about Rock Island Armory vs. Springfield Armory?

Anyone shot both? I think the basic Springfield is around six hundo though, so maybe in a higher price class.

With 1911s, I'd want to make sure it was stock before buying it. People tinker with them so much, I'd be worried to get one that had been tinkered with and then find out it is unreliable.

I have a buddy at work who bought a used Auto Ordinance 1911. It was reliable with ball ammo. He tried to tune it up with bits & pieces, and it became unreliable with even ball ammo. Put it back, and it is reliable with ball ammo again. No word on how it would do with HPs.

funon1

Detonics Combat master

I saw one of these a few weeks ago at a local shop for $600. Seemed like an okay little gun. You will just have to look around for used guns. Shopping for a used 1911 is "like a box of chocolates...ya never know what you're gunna get" Since money is real tight, I would not worry so much about the brand as the actual condition of the gun. You will want to give it a detailed inspection. Good luck

Funon1

rogertc1

I have a Detonics Funon1...how do you know they are an OK gun...you ever shot one?

"like a box of chocolates...ya never know what you're gunna get" Since money is real tight, I would not worry so much about the brand as the actual condition of the gun

Nice of you to support ALL 1911's with you vast knowledge of firearms. Keep you to your word.