1911 Firing pin block removal

brookstexas

I have a 80 series Colt Commander and I want to remove the FPB along with a trigger job as I understand that adds to grittiness etc. It's a simple matter of removing that extra piece isn't it?
Thanks,
BT

Jim V

Well, no, you have to remove the bits and pieces in the frame as well as the plunger and spring in the slide. Several companies manufacture spacers that would go into the frame to replace the levers etc, removed. www.brownells.com will have them.

However, as much as I dislike the FP safeties, any gunsmith worth his Hoppes #9 should be able to give you a good trigger pull with the parts still in place.

stans

I have not found that the Series 80 firing pin safety really adds to the trigger pull. I do feel that it is the solution to a non exsistant problem and is one more thing to fail on the gun.

Edward429451

Never understood the rationale to remove the block. Is this gun new for you? Are you setting it up for competition?

My series 80 breaks at 4.5 lbs. Did nothing except polish trigger, disconnector. Why do you feel you need less than that? If its new for you and to be used for defense, leave it alone and practice practice practice. If its gonna be a race gun, more power to ya'

The gunzines are just schills for the custom gunsmiths, you dont really need all that crap. Just my opinion.

HSMITH

What you get with the 80 series stuff installed is trigger travel before break, with 70 series there can be little to no travel. This is the advantage as I see it. IMO the 80 series stuff is just more to go wrong, and I see nothing wrong with removing it. Buy the parts and put them in. To get rid of the extra travel that the 80 series needed a series 70 sear is needed.

brookstexas

Thanks for advice & what I have done

Well I have installed a Chip McCormick hammer,sear,trigger and a one piece Sprinco guide rod (Both local companies!). Accuracy is much better than stock but not quite like my Kimber. Since this is a carry gun instead of a range gun I'm very happy with it. NOW for the trigger/FP block issue, I have adjusted the trigger and have some slack and then a clean break in the pull. Since it's a carry gun I like this setup I know just where I am in the pull and a little resistance before it breaks is good. Thanks for all the replies etc. BTW the Chip McCormick stuff required nothing but dropping it in which made me happy and it was a great improvement .
Thanks again,
BT