1911 Firing pin advice needed

jmstr

I am 'fixing up' a systema 1911 a1 and I have a firing pin question about the advantages of a 'stiffer' firing pin and/or a titanium firing pin. I had heard the 'stiffer spring' will be safer [less risk of AD], but a ti pin provides quicker 'lock up' and more precise firing. If I add a Ti pin, should I then use a factory strength spring, or is it ok [as in, provides reliable firing] to use BOTH a ti pin and the stronger spring? Thanks!
jason

KPS

I just customized my Systema and a new firing pin was added.I used an Ed Brown Hardcore F/P and the Wolff spring that came with the new recoil spring kit.I would advise against a titanium F/P because they are much softer than steel.If you are using your Systema for competition then titanium might be ok but if you are relying on it for self defense then stick with tool steel.

Jim V

Yep, stick with the steel firing pins, Ti is ok for games but ....

Now we will get umpteen posts from people that use Ti firing pins in their carry guns. LOL

spyder2

Greetings,

I am also looking to fix up the Sistema I got from JLD. It shoots and looks great but has hammer bite and I don't really like the sights. Looking at Chip McCormack parts since they're drop in, specifically the hammer, sear, and disconnector. I'm also contemplating the drop in rear sight that works in the standard dovetail with the stock front sight. Anybody else use his parts? Any thoughts on his drop in rear sight working with the stock front? I'm new to 1911's and all advice appreciated. Also thinking about the drop in match barrel, bushing, and link from Clark Custom.

h_tolley

I've never heard that a titanium alloy steel was softer than normal steel. If anyone has any data or references to support this I'd be the first to admit I was mistaken.

Springfield Armory uses Titanium allow firing pins in thier loaded 1911 models. I have never had any firing pin related problems using titanium pins. To address the original question, SA uses a stronger spring with their Ti pins, so it's not a bad idea, but perhaps unnecessary.

For some interesting calculations on the force necessary to provide an accidental discharge due to the movement of the firing pin when the pistol is dropped you may wish to see this link:

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/drop_test.htm

In a nutshell, it states with a standard weight firing pin with a firing pin spring weight of 3-3.5 pounds, you'd have to drop it from quite a high distance.

I see no disadvantages to a lighter Ti alloy pin, other than cost or perhaps availability, but it is not necessary by any means. Any good quality pin will do its job well.

Keith J

Ti IS softer

Regardless of the alloy, the elastic modulus is 2/3's that of steel. While commercially pure Ti is stronger in yield than CP steel, alloys of steel are far superior to Ti.

Case in point would be the landing gear of the FA-18. Its made of Carpenter Airmet, a super steel alloy. Not Ti, not ScAl.