1911 Extractor

riggins_83

Anybody had any issues with MIM 1911 extractors? I have yet to really find any evidence for or against them.

Last edited:
It is really hard to be certain from a picture, but if I had to say one way or the other, that looks like a MIM piece to me. Could just be a grainy pic though. :)

HiBC

Myself,I would not choose an extractor I had to wonder about.It is a very critical part that leads a hard life.But,that is just opinion

diesel7.3

Call it what you want, but I will not buy a 1911 that contains any MIM parts. The extractor is one of the main components keeping your gun functioning correctly, not a part that I would want to skimp on.

SilentHitz

Just buy a quality extractor, and the tool from Brownells to tune it with...well worth the cash.:cool:

What are you smokin' PBP? There's no pic:p

gwnorth

Don't the Springfield GI series use MIM extractors? Along with a bunch of other MIM parts, including the roll pins? I don't see heaps of them lying around in shattered pieces anywhere. Smith and Wesson does too (hammers at least, on some models), as do many gun makes.

My opinion - a lot of guns have been made in the past 20 or so years with lots of MIM parts. By and large, they seem to stand up just fine, or at least if they are experiencing massive numbers of failures, it's being well covered up. I know I don't loose any sleep over their presence (or absence for that matter).

Seems to me that MIM parts, if they have a problem, will suffer from fractures due to voids left after the molding process. But that is a QC issue, and applies equally to investment cast parts (eg. frames). Even forged parts can fail from hidden internal flaws in the stock steel used. As long as the QC is good, any and all of these parts should function just fine.

michael t

Springfields seem to go weak after a few 100 rounds I have seen several complaints , about this Its a easy change out Wilson or Brown and never worry again.

45_Shooter

MIM is cheap junk, but it can be made to work in some cases. The 1911extractor isn't one of them (prematurely burned up a Colt MIM one myself not too long ago). Replace it with a quality piece for $25 and have no worries.