1911 Experts I need to clear up something with you...

FS2K

I've never had any interest in any 1911 that wasn't a "Government" model, or full sized gun so I've never really become familiar with the compacts. I just want to learn what size gun makes a "Commander" or "Officers" type 1911.

Is a "Commander" simply a full sized 1911 with a shorter barrel? Or does the term "Commander" also include 1911's with a one round less capacity styled frame?

I know the "Officer" style 1911 is the smallest of the 3 I mentioned, but I am still unsure of what makes a Commander a Commander etc etc.

Majic

For a Colt the Commander has a full sized grip frame and a shortened top end. Now some of the other makers have shortened the grip frame along with the top end for their Commander sized pistols.

AK103K

The Commander is just a slightly smaller version of the Government Model. The barrel is 3/4" shorter and the dust cover on the frame is also shorter. Other than that, and the fact that it can/could be had in a lightweight version, its the same gun. The Commander uses the same recoil spring and plug set up as the GM.

The Officers Model (and basically anything under a Commander sized gun) and its variations are chopped down guns with less capacity and use a different recoil spring set up.

The Commander was always my favorite. The few smaller guns I had, while accurate, never worked reliably enough to be trusted.

RickB

And, some will lump together 3" guns with the 3.5" Officers, and 4" guns with the 4.25" Commander.
The 4.25" top end on an Officers frame is often called a "CCO"; most 1911 features are still referred to by the name of their Colt equivalent, and since Colt's version was called CCO (Concealed Carry Officers), that's become common usage.