1911 Experts: I am having a couple of problems, and need your help!

lonegunman

I am having a couple of 1911 problems, any wisdom you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Problem #1 is occuring in 2 different full size 1911s. Neither gun is reliably holding the slide back after the last shot in a magazine. This is occuring with several different Wilson magazines, but I have not noticed it with a factory Colt magazine. These 2 guns probably have a couple thousand rounds through each of them, and until now, have never had a problem. My Wilson mags are a couple of years old, look good as new to me, but have been used a lot.

Problem #2 is entirely unrelated, and occuring in a different gun (an officer's sized 1911). This time, the slide is locking back before the mag is empty. It usually occurs on about the 4th or 5th round in a mag. It is happening with several different brands of mags, all of which are pretty new. Is this a slide stop problem?

Any help figuring this out is appreciated!

dsk

Problem #1: Most likely the Wilson nylon followers are worn. It's common with them. See if you can get Wilson to exchange them for you.

Problem #2: It could be a slide stop that touches the nose of each bullet when it chambers, or more likely it's due to the slide stop popping up under recoil. If it happens when the gun is nearly empty that's due to the lightened weight of the gun. A gunsmith can cure it by grinding a slight dimple in the slide stop where it engages the plunger.

blades67

I think dsk has the correct answer to your problem, but it could also be caused by your thumb if you have changed your grip lately.

taco

Is problem #1 occuring with a Kimber pistol?
Reason I ask is that I had the same problem with my Kimber and so has few other people I know. All were with pistols which were purchased about 2-3 years ago. The problem is with the slide stop and if you call Kimber they'll send you a new one which will work okay.

I agree with dsk on problem #2

dcmorris71

Slide stop may be worn out

Sometimes the slide stop itself wears down (this usually takes quite a few rounds), and replacing the slide stop lever is required. It is usually not difficult at all. Many parts manufacturers make solid steel models that are more durable than the cast or sintered parts used in most stock 1911s.