1911 defense ammo--ball or HP's?

.45 HP or ball?

• Ball

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • Hollowpoints

Votes: 53 66.3%

• Total voters

glockorama

How many load ball ammo for defensive purposes and why. I'm not looking for a debate on which HP is better, I'm interested in how many prefer ball to any HP. What is the best quality ball ammo?

asp

I've just switched to hardball after using .45 JHP for years.
(I still keep a Cor Bon 185 in the pipe, though.) Not sure about the best quality ball ammo. Look forward to reading some opionions on that.

Mister_Dinky

Now using the Federal EFMJ. If it doesn't work as advertised it is still hardball at +P. If it does work as advertised it should be a real show stopper. Hope I never find out.

ether

Too weird!!! I was just pondering this while I was surfing over here. Ball all the way. In a defensive handgun, you want something that you know will feed EVERY SINGLE TIME, first and foremost. Plus, .45 is a BIG bullet....how much expansion do you really need? PLUS, you never know when you might need the extra penetration ball offers. Ball is all I buy anymore.

I have quite a few hollowpoints on hand for 9mm. I think hollowpoints are OK in a good, reliable 9mm. I'm told 9mm can overpenetrate, and hollowpoints obviously help prevent that. Also I think 9mm is a more inherently reliable cartridge, for whatever reason...maybe it's because the case is tapered vs. the straight-walled .40 and .45. So a good 9mm should feed most hollowpoints just as well as ball.

As for the best quality ball....I like Winchester's white-box stuff best in any caliber. Federal American Eagle and Sellier&Bellot make good handgun ball. I'm sure Speer Lawman is great stuff too, but I just never use it.

Vanguard.45

Why just one?

Two of the three styles of bullet I use are hollowpoint/ derivatives. The other is hardball.

My Springfield TRP with a Nowlin Match Barrell feeds everything every time, so why limit myself to just one style. Currently, when I am carrying my .45 on one of my side jobs, I have three mags with me- One has Glaser Safety Slugs, One has Wnchester Hardball, and the third has Remington Golden Sabers.

Some may say that using "vicious" ammunition will get you in trouble in court or that carrying a "super-tuned" handgun will be food for the lawyers. I say that if I am justified in shooting someone, I intend to do it to the very best of my ability (and probably until the gun runs dry with whatever I'm carrying at the time). That includes being prepared with the best equipment (and ammunition) possible. Let the lawyers sort it all out later. I'm the one standing there with my life on the line!

Snowdog

I'm told 9mm can overpenetrate, and hollowpoints obviously help prevent that.

Very true.

And it's best to keep in mind that .45acp 230gr ball will out penetrate 115gr 9mm ball by 3 inches. The average penetration of ball in ballistic gelatin is 27".
The average human torso is nowhere near 27" in depth. Food for thought.

There is a screwball myth that .45acp hardball doesn't give deep penetration and this continues to give people the wrong impression to this day.

I use JHP (230gr Rem. GoldenSabers). It's completely reliable from my Kimber Classic. If the JHP fails to expand, well hell, I tried... and I then get the performance of hardball.

To each his own.

Andrew Wyatt

depending on my mood at the time, I'll either shoot hardcast lead 185 grain SWCs, 230 grain ball, or winchester silvertips.

I tend to favor ball for most things, because i know it'll work every time and it's cheap.

I'm probably going to acquire some 230 grain golden sabers because they seem to be about the best thing on four wheels for .45 ammo.

Gunz

I use anything from S&B and Blazers and Winchesters. Whatever is proven for 500 rounds through my particular gun. For example, my Springfield will digest all Blazers, but not necessarily Remington FMJs. My Colt will feed only Winchesters FMJ reliably. My s&W 4506 and Glocks feed SWCs of all brands. The Glocks will choke on a Blazer FMJ from time to time.
I honestly think that the casing length variation and general bullet seatings of particular manufacturers will affect the feed reliability of particular guns (even of the same model and brand). Thus, the same Remington 230gr FMJs may not feed well out of two 1911 Springfield Loaded pistols. One may be a dream and the other a dog.
In any event, based on some of my target tests, I think the JHPs are a hit and miss. Unless impact 90 degrees head on into a dense/soft medium, the mushroom may not even form. Most of the time, my recovered bullets tend to clump around the barrier fabric (denim, leather, cotton, etc.) and turn into a hardball anyway. The main advantage of a clumped JHP is the sharper edge as it works its way into the target and sever neighboring organs and blood vessels.
You still pay premium for JHP for this clumping, and you may risk feed jams.
I like FMJs because they will go through glass and sheet metal and retain enough mass to reach target. JHPs may not.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
I'm not...

...allergic to ball for self defense or anything; I've used it before and will use it again, but it's not my first choice.

Right now, my G30 is full of 230gr Gold Dots and all 3 1911's are stuffed with 185gr +P Golden Sabers.

Hard Ball

In all the cases where I have seen .45ACP automatics actually used they were loaded with hard ball and were highly effective. As a British expert wrote in the late 1920s "after all, .45 amd .455 bullets come pre-expanded." :cool:

VVG

I LOVE it! People buy a .45 because of the "proven" human-stopping pedigree (in military use, with hardball). Then offer all the reasons who expanding bullets are not reliable and how FMJ feeds better. THEN, load hollowpoints!

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Hard Ball,

Re: "Pre-expanded". I'd be a little disappointed if my .355" or .400" JHP's only expanded to .451", considering .600" or more isn't too terribly uncommon...

SodaPop,

Perhaps I should have said "I've carried it before...". ;)

ronin308

I have been carrying Remington Golden Sabres in my 1911 as of late. But fellow TFLer KSFreeman tells us that it is not very suitable for night fighting. Apparently, Remington is using a powder that has lots of flash. I'm going to be switching to the Black Hills 230 gr. HP round since its cheap (more practice) and it doesn't flash at night as much.

Mo_Zam_Beek

Ball is a very good choice in my book.

Closer to the pressures of what I practice with.

Big as a broomstick anyway.

Corbon Powerball and Federal version are very interesting as well.

As to penitration - DEEP.

FWIW - While shooting a stage the other week - Standing target behind a car door with window down - I *missed* and put one low - in reality, it penitrated the car door and I still got my "A" zone.

Like I said - ball ain't so bad.

KSFreeman

Whether HPs or FMJs, Rule #4 applies. Ball can burn through a lot of stuff, but so can HPs.

I use either Black Hills, Remington or Winchester ammo in ball form at skul or training. Good quality and consistent ammo.

Remember to shoot it at night whatever you choose.