1911: "Daddy, can we get one?"

jimmythegeek

Went on a binge at the rental counter with my 14 year old daughter and her friend. We went through most of the semi-autos. She liked a Beretta 92FS, a SIG P229, a CZ-75sp01 more. She was kind of all over the place all day.

Then she tried a Para Ord. 1911 and *abused* the 9-10 rings. Big beaming grin. It tickles me to death to see that.

I'd already planned to get a 1911-style pistol at some point. Guess it's moved up in the queue.

Also - for us, anyway, we all found the .45acp recoil to be more manageable than anything in .40SW. That "push vs punch" I'd heard about was spot on.

BigJimP

Makes sense to me ....but don't overlook a 1911 frame in 9mm as well....there are a lot of options out there...still a lot of fun to shoot / and less recoil than a 1911 in .45 acp ...and way cheaper to shoot in terms of ammo expense.

1911's in 9mm ....are made by Kimber, Springfield, Wilson Combat, etc....and a lot of ranges will have some models in 9mm for rent as well usually or at least Wade's in Bellevue has a couple of 1911's in 9mm for rent.

hlds54

cool story, if I have a daughter I hope shes like that. My dad and I just got our first 1911's together this past year. If your looking for a "basic" 1911 I'd go for a springfield GI or Mil-spec, or a Rock Island Armory. Going up the list you could look at SA higher end 1911s, or kimbers. Glad to hear your getting one

Therealkoop

My fiance loves the 1911 also. Its easy for her to pull the short trigger. Glocks and M&P's have too much movement for her weak hands.

bitttorrrent

I don't have a 1911, but that is all my Dad has. ASide from his Glocks, he loves the 1911's.

Every gun I get, we bring to the range and compare against his.

I guess I will get one soon as there are a ton out there now that are good.

Vortexyz

I remember pestering my dad to buy a beaten up Rem Rand 1911 that was a rental gun at the range we used to shoot at when he first took me shooting on a regular basis.

I wanted to shoot a USP .45 because it was the closest thing the the SOCOM pistol and I (being 13) thought that it had to be the best most awesome thing ever if SEALS shot it. He let me check the USP out and he checked out the old Rem Rand and proceeded to chew out the black while I was all over the place. The USP was way to big for my 13 year old hands (still is actually) and he noticed I was having trouble. He traded with me for a few magazines and I immediately started shooting better with the 1911. He converted me, and I have been a 1911 afficionado ever since.

kraigwy

I started my kids out early. When my daugther was about 10 she set out with my Series 70 Gold Cup and comminced to demolish a case of Mililtary Hard Ball. She got pretty good with it too.

She's claimed that gun as hers, She's 40 now and every time I see her one of the first things out of her mouth is "You still have my Gold Cup".

Yes I still have it and its hers when I pass on.

bitttorrrent

She's claimed that gun as hers, She's 40 now and every time I see her one of the first things out of her mouth is "You still have my Gold Cup".

Ha, I am now that 40 yr. old too(my daughter is 9 and started her with a little single shot .22 rifle) - just getting back into guns and my Dad is always saying that all these will be ours and to pick the ones you like (3 of us). The 1911's he has are my favorite!

Now we are reloading and he is teaching me how and since he moved close we shoot whenever I have time and he is feeling up to it. (he is having some medical issues)

I know it is depressing thinking that my Dad is going to pass and then I will "get his guns", but I think of it as a family thing. When he is gone, then I will have his guns to keep him in mind and then to pass on down to my kids when I am no longer here.

After going through my mother-in-laws house after her dimensia took her mind and we moved her to a home, out of all the stuff from 40 yrs. of my wife as a girl and her brother (crawlspace was packed) the only thing aside from some jewelry and photos that was memorable was a .38 arm special revolver I found in a box of papers.

Me and my Dad cleaned it up and it worked perfectly. No it wasn't her Mom's, but was her great grandpa's service pistol from his days as a Chicago cop.

A special piece of history that will now be passed on to a new generation.

Keep that gun and do give it to your daughter. It will remind her strongly of you, long after your time is up.

when it comes time to buy, don't waste your time on kimber.

under $500 - look at Rock Island Armory
$500-$900 - look at colt
$900-$2000 - keep looking at colt :D
$2000-$3500 - look at wilson combat

jimmythegeek

definitely looking at Colt

I'm a little torn between one with modern features - better sights, beavertail grip safety, yadda yadda, or "classic".

My preference changes frequently, but right now I think if it's not genuine USGI then I might as well get the newer features than a closer replica.

OTOH, then I think about the single action revolvers I want and replicas seem just fine.

Auto Ordnance apparently makes a nice classic replica, and it's under $500. I found a range that will rent me one. But I'm pretty sure I'll go for a Colt or Dan Wesson if I feel like spoiling myself.

pilpens

The classics look good but the sights are just too small for me.
The closest I would go to a USGI would be with a Springfield Milspec.

If in 45, then consider a Springfield Range Officer.
If in 9mm, then consider a STI Spartan or Trojan.