1911 Conversion

Amin Parker

Hi all,

This thread has been inspired by the 3 inch 1911 thread in the semi auto forum. I did not wish to hijack that one so here goes.

As some of you may know, i build 1911s for various reasons. My latest one was built specifically for carry and i had some idea for my next project.

Besides the normal custom additions, I was thinking of taking a full size slide and having it shortened by around 2 inches, maybe having the slide overlap the frame by around half an inch. The frame will stay exactly as is.

There will have to be some serious custom work so the bushing can fit so new lugs will have to be cut to accomodate it. The barrel will obviously have to be shortened too.

Has anyone out there attempted such a thing? Compact 1911s do not exist in my side of the world, i would prefer the custom route anyways.

Any help, insight and advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

KyJim

I rarely do this because it's tacky to send someone to another forum and there are some very knowledgeable users and some custom 1911 smiths here. However, you might look at posting a message in the Gunsmithing and Troubleshooting section of this 1911 forum. http://forums.1911forum.com/ if you don't get a satisfactory answer here.

You might mention you're not from the U.S.A. so they'll understand why you are asking.

Aside from the slide and barrel, the frame of a short 1911 (starting with the 4-1/4-inch Colt Commander, is also different from a full-size. Specifically, the front of the frame rails and the "frame abutment surface" (which is what the recoil spring guide rests against when the pistol is assembled) are moved back by approximately 1/10 of an inch. There are photos showing this in that forum mentioned above.

What you have in mind can be done, but not easily. And I don't think you can get it down to 3 inches.

To get started, Google on "M15 General Officers Pistol." Starting some time after WW2 (I think), one of the U.S. arsenals (Rock Island?) took standard, as-issued M1911A1s and shortened them for issue to generals. The result was unique -- it is NOT the same as Colt's commercial Officers ACP pistol.