1911 commander titanium vs aluminum 10mm

Elerius

I've never shot 10mm or an aluminum frame Commander. When my gun list is finally complete, I want to build a final pistol in the form of a Caspian Commander that I may carry sometimes but not regularly. They will build a titanium frame to my specs but I read a lot of mixed feelings on titanium frames and only can find a couple threads on 10mm Commanders at all. I like the uniqueness of a titanium version with the weight savings against steel as well as having an example of a titanium gun. I'd have the carburized rails for galling issues also. I'll set the stage below and questions at the bottom, love to hear your thoughts:

After much internal debate, I have expanded my gun list to include a separate collection of 1911's. I tried to consolidate but there are too many options and manufacturers that keeping it to a couple is impossible. I'm kind of OCD so I want a well balanced line of size, finish, caliber, material and manufacturer. I can live without a Nighthawk and the smaller calibers. These are the guns so far balanced:

Fullsize-
Colt WW1 reproduction of the 1918 version in Carbonia blue, model 01911 in .45
Springfield Armory TRP, black .45
Ed Brown Kobra, Stainless .38 Super
Kimber GT-10 (now Camp Guard??) Two tone, 10mm

Commander-
Wilson Combat CQB, Blue/green .45
Dan Wesson Guardian, black .45
Les Baer Stinger, blue 38 Super

3"
Kimber Ultra Carry HD II, black .45
Para Ordnance Warthog, Stainless .45

Is the combination of commander and lighter titanium going to make this exceptionally hard to control? Will bobtailing make an appreciable difference?

If I decided against Ti I'd probably just go with carbon steel. But could I get a Scandium-aluminum frame custom made and will it still handle 10mm without issue?

Can Ti be finished in a similar way to stainless, like a satin type finish?

Chui

Titanium can be finished with several Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) coatings such as:

Titanium Aluminum Nitride

Titanium Carbonitride

Tungsten Diamond Like Carbon (W DLC)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mete

Titanium lighter than steel but heavier than aluminum. Strength depends on the alloy. My Chris Reeve Sebenza has a matt finish grey.
The Scandium frames are an Al alloy with about 1 % scandium !

smee78

I do enjoy the 10mm and enjoy shooting it from my S&W 1006 or 1076, being made out of stainless they tend to soak up a good amount of recoil. The real questions you will need to ask yourself will be are you shooting full power 10mm ammo or the watered down stuff and how many rounds do you plan to put through a this weapon. The light weight gun will feel snappy and will likely accelerate wear, are you going to shoot everyday or a few times a year? Will you carry this gun often or once in a while? If I were looking for just a shooter in the 1911 platform to launch 10mm I would get one of the new Ruger guns.

Elerius

. The real questions you will need to ask yourself will be are you shooting full power 10mm ammo or the watered down stuff and how many rounds do you plan to put through a this weapon. The light weight gun will feel snappy and will likely accelerate wear, are you going to shoot everyday or a few times a year? Will you carry this gun often or once in a while? If I were looking for just a shooter in the 1911 platform to launch 10mm I would get one of the new Ruger guns.

This would be the last 1911 I'd be getting, that's why I wanted one as a complete custom. I would probably be carrying it on occasion but for the most part it will be for the range like everything in the collection. When I can afford to, I reload and try to get to the range at least once a week. Sometimes twice, about 100 rounds a trip. Each of my guns cycled through trips maybe 500 rounds a year.

The titanium is a problem because I like the novelty and it will also save me some weight, it feels like the best use in my collection for it would be in 10mm since that will be the harshest caliber in my 1911 collection. But it's not used very often so information is a little scarce. I figure if the Glock 29 can handle it, a Commander would be manageable.

I tried to like the new Ruger but I can't quite get there. My full size will be the Kimber Camp Guard, it looks like a good fit

Big Shrek

At least with the Caspian frame you're getting double-stack
ability, right?? The ammo weight would help offset things a bit,
until the mag got low ;)

To me, former Delta Elite 10mm owner, the felt recoil and the
punch it gives to the palm is why i sold it and went G20-SF
and never looked back. Now I'm contemplating a G40MOS.
The recoil handling is Why.

Other options are the Star Megastar 10 (10mm).
S&W 1000-series (all 10mm's)
Their weight and broader handgrip mean that felt recoil
is spread out and reduced. That's VERY important with 10mm.

The 1911 platform is just a wee bit too skinny, which causes the
recoil to be focused when it affects your palm. Painful is the word.

Elerius

At least with the Caspian frame you're getting double-stack
ability, right?? The ammo weight would help offset things a bit,
until the mag got low

That is an idea I've not thought about. I know people say Caspian will build you anything you want, but is a double stack frame for 10mm something I can get? Or is that going to be some kind of very special order?

I'm wondering about magazines... Does anyone even make a double stack 10mm that will fit 1911? I'll try to look for some. A double stack idea is intriguing, the firepower out of that would be awesome.

Elerius

Wow, I see Rock Island makes double stack 10mm as well as Para Ordnance. 16 rounds :eek: What kind of disadvantages would this kind of build bring, if any? Any idea what the final weight might be?

HiBC

The RIA is beefed up a bit.Its economical.I have not priced a Caspian titanium doublestack frame lately,but it would not surprise me if the whole RIA gun cost less.I think Para mags work for the RIA
All other things being equal,I would not expect a 10 mm 1911 to last as long as the normal cartridges,but I think a successful build could be done on a steel double stack Caspian.I have not done it,though. Titanium? I'd ask Caspian.
EAA Witness mags (a little bird told me) can be modified to work.It might be good to spend the money for one good one for a pattern.You might ask Caspian about that.

There is/was an outfit called "Limited 10" that makes modular frames that work with STI components,and there are the STI frames.
You might look at those.These are double stack.
Realize with a double stack some components are unique. Trigger bows,grip safeties,etc.

Myself? IF I was going to build a 10mm 1911,I'd use a comp to reduce recoil and slow the slide velocity.You do that,and you will be fine with stock or lighter recoil spring rates. That means the gun will last.

And I'd probably have someone like Docter Optic USA machine the slide for a low mount mini red dot and a high set of iron sights,
But you have fun your own way.

I'd stay away from heavy recoil springs. IMO,don't load past what an 18lb spring will handle.Heavy recoil springs beat the gun when the slide goes forward.

I'm no expert on titanium. I think its the AL-4 alloy you might use. The stuff is strong ,light,somewhat cranky to machine....I might do some research about galling,cracking,and battering before I spent the big bucks.

brian33x51

Titanium alloys may be very strong but they aren't known for handling wear very well. I doubt its worth much to pay extra for titanium.