1911 Calibre Conversion

Amin Parker

Hi all,

Has anyone here ever converted a 45acp 1911 to 9mm Para?

I know that the barrel and slide will have to be changed. My worry is mainly with the frame, ejector, feed ramp issues etc.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thank you

Yes, I have done it.

Slide, barrel, magazine, and probably ejector. On the 1911 I use as a convertible, I left the ejector un-pinned, so I can easily swap it when I switch calibers.

Amin Parker

Wow thats great. Did you have any issues with the wide 45 acp feed ramp? How reliable is it? Since its single stack, do you get extended magazines for them?

BigJimP

I'm not saying its impossible - and Aquilla says he's done it ...but what's the point of trying to do it when you have to replace the whole top end of the gun ...( that's not inexpensive ) ... ( you have to replace the whole slide, extractor, ejector, barrel - change springs, etc ...)...and the slide lock might have to be changed as well ...

Most of the mfg's that make 1911s' in .45 acp / when they make a 1911 in 9mm ...will use the same frames ( some of them are different / like the springfield EMP)...and there may be others too. But if they use the same frames - in theory a "standard sized 1911 mag - in 9mm / like Wilson's 10 rd 9mm mags" will fit and lock into the frame.

10 rd mags for a 1911 in 9mm are plenty ...why do you want more than 10 rds ?

But in any event - I think its a bad plan ....if you want a 1911 in 9mm ...just buy a separate gun made in 9mm and I think you'll be way ahead. I have 1911's in 9mm, .40S&W and .45 acp ....and I like the 9mm's a lot !

There is one high capacity 9mm 1911 out there - Wilson Combats Spec Ops 9mm and it holds 16 + 1 ....if that's what you really want.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_specops.htm

Its a poly frame / different sort of weapon for Wilson ...and I admit they look interesting although I have not bought one ...my wilson 9mm Protector model is sure a nice gun and I shoot it a lot / and with good quick reloads - a 10 round gun is no disadvantage in my mind.

Amin Parker

Hi BigJim,

I need a 9mm 1911 for a particular sport i wish to start taking part in. I am currently a very active shooter. I feel a 9mm 1911 will be perfect. This also answers the question about capacity.

The reason i am considering the conversion is mainly because 9mm 1911s are scarce where i live and should i find one, i can wait up to 2 years for the licence for that particular weapon.

So, now that that is out of the way, i was thinking of doing a conversion on a frame that is at a gun shop and registered to me. Finish the project and while i await the paperwork, he can cart it to and from the range. Since the licences will only be for the barrel and slide, i will save time.

Cost is not an issue. I will happily pay more and bypass the waiting time.

I am interested in the challenges that face me in doing the conversion.

A standard, flush-fit 1911 magazine holds nine rounds in 9mm Parabellum. That's what I use, but I don't use that pistol for competition, only for economical range plinking, so "enhanced" capacity is not an issue for me.

Since BigJim mentioned the slide stop, I will discuss it, as well. There are slide stops from a couple of the "name" 1911 shops that are specifically labeled as being for the 9mm. When I first did my conversion I used one of those. I had myriad problems with the bullets engaging the slide stop as they fed, locking up the pistol with rounds still in the magazine. So I put back the .45 Auto slide stop, and the problems went away. And ... the 9mm magazines still lock the slide when empty.

Width of the feed ramp is immaterial. Supposedly, the angle of the feed ramp is different for a frame intended as a 9mm pistol, but mine works fine, and Colt used to sell 9mm conversion uppers for the Government model, so I think the importance of the ramp angle is perhaps over-emphasized by those who sell frames having a different ramp angle.

Para Ordnance P18.9, if that's allowed in you country/competition. I have the P18.9S that just went out of production 2010 and it shoots like a DW RZ10 as far as groups are concerned. The trigger is great (albiet, a carbon material), the sights are dawson and bomar copies, the slide to frame fit is excellent as is the barrel fit, and the capacity is...19rnds. It cost me 900$, I don't know if that bit helps you or not.