1911 caliber change?

slammedsi

I was looking at changing the caliber of my 1911 race gun. It's built off a auto ordnance frame and slide, chambered for 45 acp. I have seen barrels for the 400 corbon, 460, 50 gi and others. My question is. Is it as simple as changing the barrel out? Or do I need to go deeper then that?

vladan

Depends what caliber you want to change it to. .400 corbon use the same breach face as .45ACP so "simple" ( it still need to be fitted, there is no such thing as drop-in barrels for 1911) barrel change will do.
For other calibers with different breach face widths you'll need to get the slide with a proper breach face, ejector, mag on top of barrel change

FoxtrotRomeo

The question is, what do you want to change it to? For some there is less to do. You don't even have to change the barrel to operate .45 Super What you do have to worry about with .45 Super is the recoil spring and firing pin spring because a steady diet of .45 Super without stiffer springs can take it's toll on the frame.

RickB

A simple barrel change will often work if the cartridges share the same case head diameter, but you also have to take into account chamber pressure, so, as noted above, .45 ACP to .400 Corbon might require only a barrel, but .460 Rowland requires more major changes. 10mm to .40 S&W, or swapping the other way, might require mags specific to the cartridge. .40 S&W and .38 Super are close enough in case head dimensions, that maybe only an extractor change, in addition to the barrel and mags, is required. Ramped barrels help, as the frame feed ramp varies among calibers/cartridges; if you convert a .45 to .40, with a new barrel, slide, etc., the frame may not allow the use of both cartridges if it has to be modified during the conversion.

FoxtrotRomeo

Ok

Here is what I'd do. Get the barrel and a new bushing matched up to the barrel, get a Wolff recoil spring at 18.5 lb (good for 10mm ammo), the Wolff recoil spring comes with the correct firing pin spring in the bag. Install both springs, get the correct magazine for .400 Cor Bon and load up, cock it and lock it.

slammedsi

cool beans pretty much that simple. Ive already got the same springs in my gun at the moment. Now time to look for mags.

FoxtrotRomeo

cool beans pretty much that simple. Ive already got the same springs in my gun at the moment. Now time to look for mags.

Yeah just make sure it's a new bushing. That way you can use the original bushing and barrel to switch back to .45 ACP or whatever it originally was if you ever want to.