1911 bushing in Series 70?

Bill DeShivs

I have a relative that is having a hard time dis/re assembling his Series 70 Colt 1911 a1 with the collet barrel bushing.
Can I swap a standard bushing into the gun, or is his barrel oversize? I don't have it here to compare, and I need to order a barrel bushing for him if it's a direct swap.
Thanks.

Sgt127

“Chances are” a regular non colleted generic bushing will drop in.
For best accuracy, you want a fitted one.

I had a finger snap off a colleted bushing once. You’d have thought the gun was welded shut.

Pulled it and never used another one.

Bill DeShivs

Thanks.
I know the bushing will drop in.
Is the Series 70 barrel oversize at the muzzle? Or is it the same diameter as other 1911 style barrels?
I know the diameter is reduced back from the muzzle.

Sarge

Direct swap. Expect the 70 MKIV to have at least a 0.580" muzzle diameter so order with 0.002" clearance at minimum. I'd mic it to be certain.

Classic12

I have a couple of Colts with the finger bushing

Unlike a regular bushing where disassembly starts by pushing down on the recoil spring plug and rotating the bushing to free the plug and relieve tension on the recoil spring, your friend needs to first push back the slide a 1/4” or so in order to relieve tension of the fingers.

Thereafter disassembly is the same and as simple as any regular 1911. Also no need to remove the collet bushing from the barrel, best to just leave it on the barrel in order not to stress the fingers unnecessarily

61ff4d7111b5dd7b1ab9982bf22c0dca.jpg

The EGW angle bore bushing is a great piece of kit. However, AFAIK ALL their 1911 barrel bushings are "thick flange" -- the outer flange is .125" thick, compared to .091" for a GI-spec bushing. Some people don't mind that, some like it. I dislike it. The barrel doesn't reach the face of the flange (which does help to protect the crown, I admit), and the face of the recoil spring plug also doesn't come flush with the face of the flange, unless you also buy a matching recoil spring plug from EGW. To me it looks like someone made a mistake.

Another alternative is the Briley spherical bushing: https://www.brownells.com/handgun-p...bushings/1911-spherical-bushing-prod1828.aspx

Reloadron

I have several Colt Series 70 guns and this is what I do:

Unlike a regular bushing where disassembly starts by pushing down on the recoil spring plug and rotating the bushing to free the plug and relieve tension on the recoil spring, your friend needs to first push back the slide a 1/4” or so in order to relieve tension of the fingers.

45%20ACP%20Bushings.png

While I have yet to break the fingers on one they are prone to breakage or so I am told. There might be merit to replacing it but keep the original. When I buy Colt Series 70 guns I want the original style bushing with the gun. Anyway disassembly is pretty easy when using the quoted method.

Ron

Nick_C_S

A li'l off topic

Just for the record, I have a 'Series 80' with the Series 70 style "four finger" collet bushing (like the one Reloadron shows). I was told that it was something of a rarity for a Series 80 to have one. I bought it new in Oct '84. It is also a rather rare satin nickel finish.

DMY

I bought a new bushing from Kings Gun Works for a 1970s commander .38 super with the original milspec barrel in 1984. Had to fit the barrel and the lugs. It was a tight fit, but it took the slop out of the lockup. My Series 70 Gold Cup has a Kart .45 barrel which was fitted by Eddie Jiminea (Texas). It is really tight despite shooting thousands of rounds. I have to turn the bushing clockwise with the end of the barrel facing me, remove the recoil spring cap, then turn the bushing counter-clockwise to remove the bushing and barrel. To me, tight means .ore accurate.

RickB

The collet bushing and matching barrel were in production until at least 1988, but don't know if they were phased out, or just dropped.

rock185

I did this more than once back in the day. Every factory commercial Colt barrel bushing I tried fit every Colt Government and Gold Cup S70 barrel and slide loosely. The several S70 barrels I measured were all in the range of .579"-.580". Though it might appear that way, the collet bushing S70 barrels are not oversized near the muzzle. The .579"-580" muzzle area tapers back to approx. .567" to allow the barrel to move down at the breech and unlock from the slide.

So yes, within my experience it is a direct swap, if using a standard Colt solid bushing. The downside, is that accuracy may drop off a bit as the collet bushings functioned like a fitted bushing in returning the muzzle to the same exact position every time. But ease of disassembly/assembly may outweigh this consideration...