1911 bushing and recoil spring plug question

Venom1956

Hey all My new DW Valor bushing and recoil plug are very tight during disassembly and removing the recoil plug has left some small marks on where it has slid against the bushing. Is there away to prevent this or is this considered normal wear?

Im just curious mostly.

IMightBeWrong

Get a plastic bushing wrench. It's easier on the finish than a metal one and will give you some leverage. It'll loosen over time, but it'll probably take a while.

drail

Use a bushing wrench and be glad that your bushing is tight. And stop worrying about the finish. The finish is going to go away over time. On any gun that is not a safe queen finishes are a disposable item.

tim s

Sure by taking it down a better way, using the slide stop first and then the whole bb/slide assembly. Good youtube videos showing how.

Venom1956

I use a bushing wrench. perhaps I worded it poorly. The marks on the bushing are from the recoil plug sliding out during the disassembly. there is maybe a papers width between the bushing turned all the way left and the plug. So when the plug slides out it slides against the bushing leaving small polished (scratches) where they touch. I'll try and get a picture.

geetarman

there is maybe a papers width between the bushing turned all the way left and the plug. So when the plug slides out it slides against the bushing leaving small polished (scratches) where they touch.

This is much ado about nothing. It happens to all of them. It is not a defect or problem with your gun.

Geetarman:D

ScottRiqui

Sure by taking it down a better way, using the slide stop first and then the whole bb/slide assembly. Good youtube videos showing how.

I tried that method for the first time a few days ago, and when I got the slide off of the frame, the recoil spring bowed outward like a cat arching its back and I thought it was going to fly out at me. The bend wasn't enough to permanently deform the spring, but it didn't look healthy. I'll try to find some of the videos to see if I was doing something wrong.

I tried that method for the first time a few days ago, and when I got the slide off of the frame, the recoil spring bowed outward like a cat arching its back and I thought it was going to fly out at me. The bend wasn't enough to permanently deform the spring, but it didn't look healthy. I'll try to find some of the videos to see if I was doing something wrong.

That's not going to hurt the spring. If it's a big deal though, take the slide off faster. Or keep your hand along the bottom to support the spring.

Venom1956

This is much ado about nothing. It happens to all of them. It is not a defect or problem with your gun.

I didn't think it was a defect I just wasn't sure if there was a better/alternate way of doing it nowadays.