1911 Barrels

Marquezj16

So I was cleaning my 1911s and a thought got into my head. I wonder if my SA Milspec barrel would fit in my SIG. So I assembled the Sig using the SA barrel. Well I'll be darn, the SA barrel fit. I did the function check and it passed. I did not check to see if my Sig barrel fit the SA though. I tried checking the slides and that's a no go. I'm too chicken to shoot it with swapped barrels. :D

Has anyone here ever used a barrel from one of your other 1911 and used it on a different model without modification or fitting?

Last edited:

bdb benzino

I bought a Colt SS Enhanced barrel for my Metro Arms 1911, and it fit awesome. I even had it looked at by my gunsmith, he said I was pretty lucky it did not need any fitting. It locks up beautifully!

10-96

You might go the extra mile and pick up a Jerry Khunhaussen (Probably mis-spelt) 1st & 2nd Edition of 1911. That will esplain in detail and make it clear what all is involved for barrel fit. You may get lucky, but the other side of the coin is that you might also goober things up greatly for both firearms.

Common sense might tell us to leave well enough alone... but we're Americans and it's just our nature to swap pieces, parts, and doo-dads. What other country is known for the famous last words, "Hold my beer, I got an idea!"? Either way, I unnerstand and have tried swaps myself.

Marquezj16

Yeah, I was just curious if it would drop in there and it did. Like I said though, I will not use it that way. I have two perfectly good 1911s, I don't want to have none. :)

Sarge

I keep an old Auto Ordnance barrel around as a means to eliminate chamber and throat deficiencies as the cause of malfunctions in troublesome 1911's.

It doesn't shoot particularly well but it does work. Be advised that some 1911 barrels use a narrow 'hood'.

lcpiper

but we're Americans and it's just our nature to swap pieces, parts, and doo-dads. What other country is known for the famous last words, "Hold my beer, I got an idea!"?

Americans may be famous for our ingenuity and all, but I swear Koreans will leave you amazed with their special brand of inventivness. I have never seen a people who can cobble together odd combinations of junk and turn them into usefull tools and vehicles. It's not as common as it was in the past because the country has become more prosperous.

There was a time when American military Officers looked at Korea and believed the country would never make it back from the devestation of the wars fought in that land. If an American ever doubts what we can accomplish for others, if what we do is actually grounded in ethical principles, just look to Korea because that country is an example that screems "It worked for us".