1911, are they the most accurate pistol?

chris in va

Most people have said the CZ 97b is more accurate dollar for dollar than 1911's, but I haven't tested mine to verify that.

The SIG 210 is supposed to be laser accurate.

PSP

The well made, expensive 1911s can be very accurate, but so are many other guns. S&W, HK and Sig for example, all make guns that will shoot as well as or better than most any gun made. Some of these for much less money than your typical high end 1911. My HK Elite was incredibly accurate and the last I saw these on CDNN, they were only $899.

The 1911 is a good design, but it's accuracy is not unmatchable by any means.

Last edited:

erhodes

I would say that a 1911 can be made to be one of the most accurate pistols out there. My competition bullseye 1911 will hold 2 inch groups at 50 yards which is way more accurate than I am. However, the 22 lr marvel conversion kit that I have for it will hold a half inch group at 50 yards. I have heard of these kits being able to hold a quarter inch!

buckhorn_cortez

I have a custom 1911 that came with two ten shot groups shot from a Ransom Rest at 50 yards - the larger of the two groups is 1.387 inches. However, this wouldn't be very good when compared to some of the high-end .22 caliber target pistols.

kimbers rule

1911s can be very accurate, but they can also be hard to shoot well. Most people I've met that don't shoot much are way more accurate with revolvers than 1911s, and they think 1911s don't shoot worth crap. Wich is fine with me. I feel i've put the time in to figure it out. This is 8 rnds. 12 yrds. Offhand with my back against a tree. 1911s can shoot.
cannon pics 627.jpg

B.L.E.

S&W 686....even better with a custom barrel and red dot.

Btw, it should outshoot any 1911!

Well if we are going to include non-semiautos, I'll say the Remington XP 100.

Limited to semi-autos, one of the .22's most likely.

1911Tuner

Accurate

Excluding the pistols designed and built specifically for target work...such as Hammerli...and speaking straight out of box production pistols, the distinction probably goes to the Sig P210.

Rainbow Demon

Probably would have been better to narrow the field a bit.
Say "the most accurate autoloader that has been a military issue sidearm" for example.
In that respect the 1911, when accurized for competition, would be hard to beat.
The SIG 210 does have a sterling reputation as a target pistol, but not that many have heard of these.
Only reason I heard of them was comparing an old French .32 Long auto I once had to the SIG because there was a strong resemblence in grip and profile. That French pistol had a great grip and was a natural pointer, not that accurate with .32 ACP, and couldn't find the French ammo back then or I'd still have it.

PS
A shooting test of late 19th century military handguns found the most accurate was the Colt .36 Revolver converted to .38 Navy caliber. They even found a full unopened box of the original ammo to test it with. A very expensive shooting session to say the least.
I have found my .36 replica to be extremely accurate and easy to shoot, the extra long barrel and sight radius is most likely why it scores so high.

mes228

No, perhaps not the most accurate in absolute terms. My experience is the 1911's are the EASIEST pistol to shoot accurately with. I'll add the caveat, that
is with iron sights. The ergos and trigger on 1911's are very hard to beat on most factory guns.

CTS

The 1911s were designed as a combat weapon. Especially loose fitting parts so that they wouldn't jam or fail to function when dirty and gritty. They were never intended to be target pistols. As many here have said, with the right parts they can be made to be very accurate but stock out of the box I wouldn't even think they would make the top ten. The most accurate I have ever shot of just common everyday pistols out of the box would be any of the Ruger Standard or Mark series semi autos. My sig P226 wasn't any slouch either.

jaughtman

Stock?

If we are going stock (out of box) guns, the most accurate FOR ME have been my BHP, followed by my HK P7 (closely), followed by 1911. I have friends, however, that have highly customised 1911's that outshoot everything I have. We must keep in mind, however, that all these posts are purely subjective as we all have different hands and I am sure a lot of what makes a pistol accurate to each person on here is the way it fits their particular hand (ergonomics). But for the purpose of this post, my BHP was almost immediately most most accurate pistol from the first time I shot it - it pretty much just points itself.

J

Jim Watson

The most accurate stock pistol I have seen was the S&W PPC 9.
Made for PPC competition and sold only to police, it is equal to or better than anything on the market. And superior to the 952 in side by side comparison by a PPC Master that I watched shooting them both. But to get one of your own, you would have to find a cop getting out of PPC or changing guns.

Sig tried to replace the P210 with the X-Five and that is a mighty accurate pistol without some of the non-endearing quirks of the older gun.

Last edited:

Don P

All I will add to this hornets nest is, it depends on the hands holding the gun.
As a side note, pistols generally referring to semi-auto's and revolvers are just revolvers and both are hand guns:eek: