1911 addiction

Amin Parker

Hi all.

During the summer of 1999 i came into contact with a Norinco 1911. I was using my Glock 21 for Bowling Pin Shooting at the time and bought this gun to check reloads. I was astounded at the reliability and accuracy from this pistol.

What has happened since has become an obsession/addiction that rivals nicotine.

I have noticed that customising them satisfies my craving for a while. Shooting only makes it worse while getting more of them really hits my spot.

The most terrible part of the addiction is that every 1911 is different and i wonder what i will discover next. I have comped ones, fully customised ones, standard ones, ones with heavy triggers, light triggers, carry guns. The list is almost endless.

I started out building one as a 100m target gun and while messing around in my parts bin, started yet another carry 1911 project. I am now running both projects simultaneously.

I rarely do ipsc shooting but have already built 2 1911s for it. I will start taking part in that sport so i can enjoy my pistols.

I do shoot my guns a lot and i shoot at least once a week. All of them gets solid range time which only make me wanna get more and more.

Has this happened to anyone else?

shanzlik

[Has this happened to anyone else?]

Yep.

1911Collection-1.jpg

Amin Parker

Oh boy. That looks familiar. I know that stage of this madness, your next phase is getting/building ones with nickel slides on blued frames lol

Oh i see you already started haha

I was in my favourite gunshop the other day and was detail stripping a frame. There was a youngster there, about 15 that always helps out. When i removed the pin that holds the sear/disconnector in place and showed it to him and said " if you can identify this from across a room you are screwed and no one will be able to help you"

My friend, the owner of the shop and avid 1911 man shook his head and laughed

Last edited:

cz223

9 and counting

051.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

100_2338.jpg

100_2339.jpg

I have a Kimber stainless Ultralight about 2/3rds paid for. I should be picking it up in a couple of weeks. This is two years worth. I have also had two Springers in that time and a couple Colts a long time ago. I Duracoated the two Rock Island guns and have since refinished my Tac Pro II in Matte Black and Colt Gray.

zombieslayer

I shot a few 1911's and always liked the design. Then I bought a pair of older Ultra's and I was hooked. Now I have a DW Vbob on layaway. I guess I'll need a fullsize one next :D.

Alden

I only have one (STI Spartan) but if I won the lottery I would also have a couple of Dan Wessons, a couple of Kimbers, a Les Baer, a Wilson Combat, another STI (probably the Trojan), a couple of Springers, and several old Colts.

RickB

The 1911 and its variants will generally do everything almost as well as other handguns can do anything. You'll want to sell your other handguns so they can be replaced with a 1911 to fill the same niche.

Alden

The 1911 and its variants will generally do everything as well as other handguns, but better. You'll want to sell your other handguns so they can be replaced with a 1911 to fill the aching void in your soul that you have every time before you get a new one.

There. That's better.

tony pasley

Just accept that you have seen the light and a follower of Saint John Moses Browning. You will be assured a place in heavens target range.

bigghoss

I only have 2 but one cost me 2 weeks pay. I'm going to sell my beater colt and maybe spend another months pay on a couple more.

Old Woodsmen

I don't dare pick them up, the last time I did it was a Springfield TRP, it felt so good in my hands it wanted to stay there. My wife reminds me that we have plenty of weapons of all sorts and don't really need anymore:(. I might add that I'd have go start a whole new stock of ammo besides my supplies of 40 S&W and reloading stuff for 45 ACP as well. Dang, I shouldn't have read this thread.

Last edited:

bac1023

Addiction? What addiction? ;)

Top row: RIA Government, ATI FX45 Military, Norinco 1911A1, IAC Regent, Para GI Expert, Auto Ordnance 1911A1, Cimarron 1911, EMF Hartford, Remington 1911R1, Springfield GI

2nd row: Remington Rand USGI, Ithaca USGI, Firestorm DLX, Charles Daly EMF, Taurus PT1911, Iver Johnson Eagle, Thompson Custom, Desert Eagle 1911G, STI Spartan

3rd row: S&W SW1911, Kimber Custom II, Colt Commander XSE, Colt Gold Cup Trophy, STI Trojan, Para 1911 Limited, Kimber Pro CDP II, Dan Wesson CBOB, Sig STX, Springfield TRP

4th row: Fusion Commander Elite, Dan Wesson Valor, STI Legacy, Colt Special Combat Government, S&W PC1911, Kimber Super Match II, Wilson CQB, Wilson Classic Super Grade, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, Ed Brown Classic Custom

5th row: Les Baer Concept V, Les Baer SRP, Nighthawk Predator II, Nighthawk Enforcer, RRA Limited Match, Springfield TGO1, Guncrafter No Name; Volkmann Combat Custom, Pistol Dynamics Signature

6th row: Infinity single stack, Yost Retro, EGW custom, Morris Tactical Elite, Colt National Match, AMT Hardballer, Valtro 1998A1, Unertl DLX, Detonics ServiceMaster

000_3712-1.jpg

jimjc

bac1023

WOO!!!!!!!NOW MY FRIEND YOU ARE .....DA MAN!!!!

First did you shoot all of them or are they "Safe Queens" I could ask many questions because I`m just getting back to guns after a long layoff and the sale of my collection and the 1911 is where I`m going. If you could characterize what you feel the differences between your guns that cost $400 to$500 and the ones over $700 I`m not trying to elicit the exact differences but a general feeling since you own so many brands. Do you have some favorites in the $400/500 and $700/800 and then above $1000. What are you looking for in the future. I hope you are like many collectors and like to talk about your guns. Jim

bac1023

Hi Jim,

Thanks.

I do shoot darn near all of them and I do love talking guns. However, for these purposes, please visit this link:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1269683

My section starts on post 17 and gives detailed info on every model I own, along with an individual picture of each. I list the characteristics and specs, along with my favorite in each category and price range from under $400 to over $5000.

I think you'll enjoy the read.

Brian

Sarge43

Yeah, in Bac's case, it's more than an addiction, I think it's turned terminal. I'm jealous. :D
Welcome to the club though! It seems that now, for me, instead of planning the next one, I'm working on two or three down the road and planning customizations too. It's the "healthiest sickness" that I've ever had. :p
Sarge