1911 .45 to .22 conversion kit

shoop66

I recently saw the $250 Kimber 1911 .45 to .22 conversion kit and thought that if i bought a cheap yet decent 1911 like a Para-Ordnance for around $400-$500 and then bould this kit i could swith the .22 parts on when practicing at the range, and switch the .45 parts back on when I get home for home defense and possibly concealed carry. This would be a lot cheaper than buying an expensive Dan Wesson, Kimber, Les Baer, etc. 1911 and a $400 Ruger Mk. II for plinking and range shooting. Even if some of the cheap Para-Ordnance parts were low-grade, just buy those parts separatley, that would still be a cheaper option. Please post what you think, you guys are the experts!

chris in va

I'm a firm believer in using a conversion kit for your carry gun. Bought a Kadet 22 slide for my CZ 75 and absolutely love using it, probably more than anything else I own.

I highly recommend it.

Sevens

Some people really like the idea of a 1911 with a .22 conversion on it. Personally, I don't think it's all it's cooked up to be. $400 is much more than you need to spend to get a nice .22 semi-automatic. The Ruger Mark II/III series are terrific pistols that will last lifetimes and you should look for a used one for a little more than half of that $400 you quote.

Also, FWIW, the Para-Ordnance isn't one of the lowball budget 1911 makers. You may be thinking of Auto-Ordnance, which surely is. On this subject, spend a little more when you are ready to buy a 1911 style .45 automatic and you'll likely end up happier.

If you want to enjoy yourself and have fun at the range, the .22 pistol is a supreme tool for exactly that. If you want to become a better shooter with a lot of trigger time, the Ruger Mark II/III is excellent in that role. If you want to shoot a lot of ammo for very little money by going .22, I would completely and entirely agree with a nice rimfire semi-auto like the Ruger.

However, please don't kid yourself in to thinking that you can install a .22 conversion on to a 1911 .45 and shoot all day with it and you'll be proficient with your .45 because of it. Just won't work that way. You will be more familiar with the grip and trigger and the slide release and magazine release, and that's all. The recoil, working the slide, clearing a malfunction, and even the sights will be dramatically different.

If you want to be practiced and proficient with your .45, you need to shoot .45.

You will be happy with a good used Ruger Mark II.

LHB1

Shoop,
Go for it! I have both a Marvel Unit One .22 conversion kit for my 1911 pistols and a S&W M41 .22LR target pistol. They are both great but I shoot the Marvel conversion MUCH more than the M41 for some reason. You can get a Marvel Unit Two (less expensive than the Unit One) or a Wilson (same as Marvel #2) or a Kimber conversion kit and be ready to go. Would not recommend the Ciener conversion since I have read/heard several reports of bad experiences and lack of customer support by the maker. These .22 LR conversions typically require high velocity ammo to cycle the slide and may not function with standard velocity target ammo.

COEngineer

Kimber conversion on Para Ordnance

Just as an FYI. A friend of mine has a Kimber .22 conversion for his Kimber 1911 45 ACP. It works OK with the cheap Walmart ammo, but does not always cycle the slide well, especially after a hundred rounds or so when the slide gets dirty.

Also, I tried putting his Kimber .22 conversion on my Para Ordnance 45 ACP and it did not work at all! The disconnector pin did not allow the 22 slide to move freely which made it completely inoperable.

So, if you want to put a conversion on any 1911, I would recommend trying before buying.