1911: 45 to 10mm conversion

1006smith

I am wanting to hear opinions and actual real-world successes and failures on this.

I presently own a S/A 1911 in 45acp and I am wanting to obtain a 10mm slide and barrel assembly. I aready have other parts for this. I have heard the ramp angle is different for these two calibers.

My questions are: 1. is the ramp angle actually different; and, if it is, 2. would that cause relibility problems?

I would hate to waste time and money if it won't work. 400 corbon ammo nose dives into the ramp on this gun with a full magazine.

Chuck

Dilbert

I'm not a gunsmith, but from what I've seen and heard, as I was thinking of converting a wide body 45 to 10mm, is that yes, the ramp angles are different but what you can do is mill out part of the frame and go with a ramped barrel, but it would probably be cheaper to just buy a 10mm frame then.

Last edited:

Harry Bonar

400 corbon/ slide change

Sir;
You don't need to change slides for the 400 corbon. I've had the same trouble you describe with it too. Installing a different magazine follower can eliminate this problem - a "reliability package" also helps.
A 1911 should feed out of the magazine with a single "shuck" noise not a double "shuck." I believe a front sight change may be in order with the corbon. Actually, the corbon should feed well, as the 357 sig does! Try working with the magazine follower and see if this helps!
Harry B.

apr1775

I've done the 10mm top end conversion on a single stack frame. Basically requires changing out the whole top end, and on the lower end new magazine and ejector. 400 corbon will give the same ballistics while only requiring changing the barrel and recoil spring. Down side is that the bottleneck cartridge reloads more like a rifle round. Buying ammo for either is expensive.