1911 .38 super mags used for 9mm?

chrisp51

I have a 9mm Dan Wesson Guardian and was told that Metalform .38 super mags could be successfully used in it. Has anyone had any experieince using .38 super mags in a 9mm 1911?

BlueTrain

I have had Colts and Springfield Armory automatics in both calibers (plus .45). They will certainly fit into each other's magazine well but the difference is that a 9mm magazine has a spacer (of sorts) at the back and the follower, if that's what it's called, is different. It might work and it might not.

Microgunner

I use MecGar .38 Super magazines in my double stack RIA 9mm 1911 with absolutly zero malfunctions.
This pistol was shipped with a .38 Super mag because it also comes with a barrel chambered in .22TCM which is a longer cartridge than 9mm and requires a .38 Super mag.

Last edited:

RickB

I have "heard" of Super mags working perfectly in 9mms, and I've also heard those with 9mms not having any luck, even with 9mm mags.

I have successfully used .38 Super mags in a 9mm pistol. It was awhile ago but my recollection is that I had no problems. That said, if the 9mm were my carry pistol I don't think I'd trust running .38 Super magazines (at least not without a lot more testing).

Hunter Customs

07232008i.jpg

When I built this custom 9mm I used Metalform 38 super and 9mm mags to test fire it.
I ran 5 different brands of factory ammo including hollow points through the gun using both caliber mags and had no failures of any kind.

In my double stack guns I always used 38 super mags to feed 9mm, again no problems what so ever.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com