1911 / .22 conversion units - Marvel? Platinum Cup?

Poplin

So, I'm thinking of springing for a .22 conversion kit for my Series 80 Colt. I've read up on previous threads on this subject and am wondering if any of you ladies/gents have anything to say about this:

1. Many folks have experience with the Ciener/Kimber/Wilson units. I'm interested in the Platinum Cup model. What do you think?

2. I hear great things about the Marvel units. Is it worth the extra $$? Is it any HEAVIER than the Ceiner units?

3. Any compatibility problems with Series 80?

4. Would using such a .22 conversion increase wear on my frame?

3. Anyone know a source who has such items IN STOCK?

Humbly, P

Matt VDW

I'm fairly sure that Marvel Products has their conversion unit in stock. It's designed for bullseye shooting, though, so unless tiny groups at 50 yards are important to you, you might want to stick with a Ciener/Kimber/Wilson unit. The Marvel unit doesn NOT lock open on an empty mag, which could be a problem if you want to practice IDPA-style shooting.

I don't see how any of the .22 conversions that I've seen could cause any more wear to the frame than normal use as a .45 would.

Gopher .45

We have a Kimber that works fine. The slide is aluminum and should not put any wear on your frame if the frame is steel. Besides the light slides don't have the muscle to wear your frame.

None of the .22 conversions lock back on empty that I know of. That is because the may must place the round so that the firing pin will impact it which means it is no longer even close to the slide stop that the magazine follower would usually push up.

My wife likes to use hers to warm up before shooting .45. It is fun and cheap to shoot.

OkieGentleman

I have the Ciener Platinum model and shoot it on two different .45 frames. It is worth the money, just make sure and get an extra mag when you buy. If you don't you have to stop and refill a lot.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
My son and I recently went together and bought a Ciener Platinum Cup and both feel it was money well spent. We mounted it on a Series 80 Gold Cup frame and it just goes on and on. I keep meaning to try it on another frame, but just haven't been able to obtain the necessary round tuit.

When brand new, this unit didn't like Winchester Wildcat .22 LR, whi was on special at a K-Mart nearby. Barrell leaded rapidly and severely, half the bullets keyholed, and accuracy went to he!!. Cleaned it up throughly, started using Remington Thunderbolt and Federal Gold hollow points, and all was well.

It is far more accurate than either Colt Conversion Kit I've owned over the years. Haven't done any formal accuracy tests but there seems to be no problem in keeping groups under two inches at 20 yards. This is pretty fair shooting with my rapidly aging eyes, seated on the grass and resting on a cardboard box. With a proper bench rest and chair, I'd bet groups will improve. It already shoots minute-of-
skunk-head.

I'm not firmly convinced the Platinum Cup is worth the extra fifty bucks. I believe the adjustable sight is a Millet brand. It is easy to use. I adjusted it once, to hit point of air with Remington ammo at 25 yards. I could have done as well, thought not as quickly, with drift punch and files. Fixed sights are usually more accurate. Really, we thought we were getting the fixed-sight version. My son handled locating the unit on the net, from a sporting goods dealer somewhere out of state. They said they had just one left, and sent it promptly, at a bargain price, about twenty bucks below list retail. Actually, it was about SEVENTY dollars below list for the Platinum Cup. Sorry, we've already checked to see if they might have another kit or two stuck back.

For as much fun as we've had, I think $200 fixed/ $250 adjustable is a good price. Midway beats list a little, and pays shipping. I second the suggestion to get at least one extra magazine. I got two.

Sorry, I have no experience with other conversion units for the .45 pistol.

As to wear, I must disagree about not being concerned. I believe you really DO need good lubrication between steel and other metals. Once the slick anodizing wears off aluminum or zinc, the softer metal picks us dust, sand, and so forth and behaves as an abrasive. Drop by he hardware store and ask a knowledgeable person about aluminum oxide finishing papers and cloth.

Hope you enjoy your converstion unit as much as we have this one.

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---

I was just wondering if the conversions are 100% reliable. Would a .22 conversion kit be a suitable replacement for a whole other handgun in .22 for small game-getting? Out in the bush I would want a .45 and a .22. Thanks for any info.
Suburbansurvivor out.

Cat

I bought a Platinum Cup for my Series 80 Gold Cup last winter. I picked up four extra magazines at the same time.
I have never been sorry that I did.
I also have fading eyesight and can not shoot as good as I used to, but this unit shoots mighty fine as far as I'm concerned.
The only trouble I've experienced is failure of the slide to cycle with some standard velocity ammo. It sure likes high velocity stuff. It shoots everything pretty darn good, but I've not really done any scientific accuracy tests yet. It's too much fun to just plink with.
Neil Casper