1903A3 botch job

44 AMP

Staff
A friend of mine has gotten an '03A3 that has been butchered sometime in the past. The gun has a functional stock and has a Redfield (I think) peep sight mounted. It shoots ok, and would be a fair game rifle, If you don;t care about the looks.

The problem is that sometime in the past it was drilled and tapped for a scope, and whoever did it should burn in hell. The holes in the rear bridge do not line up, and one of them is "egged". The holes in the front ring have been filled with something (silver/gray-solder?).

I know what would have to be done (welding and redrilling), my question is , do any of you folks out there know of anyone (especially in the Northwest) who would be willing to do this difficult and specialized work? And about what it should cost?

MY advice to him is to leave it alone, and use it for a beater/truck gun, and look for another 1903 that has been drilled & tapped by a professional. Any info on whether or not this old Springfield can be saved would be appreciated. Thanks.

w_houle

I would have to agree with your assessment of the situation. I don't see any reason he would have any personal attachment worth wrapping up any money into something that is going to only be an OK shooter. If he was hell bent to get this fixed though, all I can say is it would be best to post pics before I put my foot in my mouth.