1903 Springfield Rejected Prototype.

Junkgunfixer

I have this ultra rare Springfield model 1903? receiver that I picked up at a estate sale years ago. When I first got it I researched the heck out of it and found that it was part of a military contract that was rejected. Consequently most of these were tossed yet a few had leaked out to the public somehow where they were used in what were called Frankenstein guns if I recall that being the term. That's what I remember reading and I'll be darned if I can find that info again! I should have wrote it down but I didn't. Does anyone out here have any idea where I can find the info on this? Look closely, it's not a mark I. There's nothing like it out there that I can find this time around.

Attachments

• IMG_4754.JPG
    IMG_4754.JPG
    807.9 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_4755.JPG
    IMG_4755.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_4756.JPG
    IMG_4756.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 188

Jim Watson

Interesting but I never saw the like.
It looks like most of the machining is complete except the right side is just flat with none of the standard contouring.

Junkgunfixer

Seemingly yes. But there's more to this thing than just that, when compared to others. The bolt notch for one and the underside design for another. I had a 1903 stock at one point and it wouldn't drop in correctly also.

Scorch

I've seen a few of the Springfield forgings over the years. No one I know of has ever been able to turn one into cash except by selling it as-is to someone else. No one I know has ever been able to get one finished up as a shooter. But who knows? Maybe you'll be the first. Biggest problem with them is they are not finished or heat treated and they have a lot of porosity in them.

Junkgunfixer

Hadn't looked at Brophy's. I'd have to go to a library or buy it online and it's quite honestly not eating at me that badly. But thanks I appreciate the help here 101combatvet!
Well Scorch I suspect you are mostly correct here. But when I did figure this out a few years back, before forgetting the research, There was apparently some rifles that were made from this particular design that were nicknamed Frankenstein guns if I recall correctly. Apparently they were a mixed match of several different makes and models. Who why when where is all I'm trying to figure out I guess.

See what Bruce Campbell The Smokeless Era has to say. Finally, consult the National Park Service at Springfield Armory National Historic Monument.

Mk VII

Is it one of the semi-finished M1901 receivers that were sold to Bannerman and stored by him for many years? I don't see the 'hump' on the charger bridge and the cutoff spindle housing extends beyond the thumb-cut. All Model 1901 features.

BandeauRouge

the mil surp rifle forum has a book for download on the springfield rifle, it has all manufacturing steps and processes. and dimensions for building your own jigs, fixtures, and tooling. And has correct dimensions for all parts..

could do a comparison study

44 AMP

Staff
Maybe.....

IT certainly is rare, but is it something valuable???

Maybe it is a rare prototype receiver, unfinished, and a valuable collector's piece of history.

OR

Maybe its a rare unfinished receiver rejected by the military due to some flaw or other, a leftover from a canceled contract, or something else making it a rare piece of junk, valuable only as scrap metal, or a metal sculpture to the right buyer....

prepare for the worst, and then when it happens, you are prepared. If it doesn't happen, then you are pleasantly surprised! ;)

jonnyc

Even if it is 'junk', it is the king of item that a serious 1903 collector would love to have in their collection.

HiBC

I'll offer my guess.
The flat side gives the machinist a "datum" to set in the fixture.
A "batch" of forgings would be sent through the manufacturing process.

The work order would route them through a number of operations on various machines. One op might be drilling and counterboring holes,such as for the trigger pin.

Then on to the next op. At each op, likely it would be gauged or inspected.

It could be rejected at any stage.

In my experience, we would notch them with a cutoff wheel and paint red dykem on them to ID them as scrap, Then a non-conformance report would be filled out.

Modifications or prototype parts might pass through a "low volume" area.

gwpercle

Could it be a National Ordinance 1903A3 receiver ... I have one .
I have glaucoma and can't see the photo's very well ... any markings ?
Gary

It looks like one of the 1901 prototypes from before the safety lug clearance cut was added, except for the flat and the hole through it toward the front (threaded?). I'm guessing HiBC got it right. That's most likely a jig or fixturing tool.