1903 Springfield comes home after 25+ years

Doug S

As I previously posted on these forums, I had a chance to pickup an old 1903 Springfield that belonged to me back in the 1980’s. As I wrote, I sold it to a friend when we were going off to college. After college the friend moved out of state and we lost touch until recently. During our conversation, he mentioned that he still had my “old Springfield”. After some talk, I asked if he’d be willing to sell it back to me since it had just been sitting in a closet in his parents home since he had moved out years ago. After finding out that it was a low serial number (and giving it some more thought), I offered him $300, and he accepted the offer. It came as pictured with the 30-40 Krag bayonet. When I owned it back in the 80’s, people generally just used them as deer rifles, not collectibles, so I hadn’t researched it previously, so I also bought the book pictured to learn more.

From what I’ve gathered so far (after only a quick glance at the book and rifle) is that my gun is a mixmaster. According to the serial number it was manufactured in 1904. From reading I expected it to be in an “S” stock, but it is in an RIA stock. The barrel has a marking I haven’t been able to find in my book yet “AV”,dated 11-18. The bolt is a later, swept back type. The sights seem to have been converted when they re-did the rifles for 30-06. The stock does have a crack (see picture) near the box magazine door. That about all I have learned so far.

If any of you can help me out with the finer details I sure would appreciate it. For instance, is it unusual for this receiver to be found in an RIA stock? I also notice two holes drilled into the right, rear of the receiver as if someone has maybe tried to put on a peepsight or something? Can anyone confirm if this is true, or are the two holes and the associated cut in the stock of military origin? I don’t see anything on the gun that is overtly WWII. Do any of you think this gun was still in service for WWII? Right now I plan on using it as a wall hanger in my man cave, but I may decide to trade it on one that I can shoot. If I do, what kind of trade value, or sale value could I realistically expect to get from a low serial numbered Springfield with the features pictured? Any and all feedback on the guns history, features, and value in regard to condition and being that it is a low serial number are greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help.

Chris_B

Low serial number, it's not a shooter. Yes I know you've probably shot it many times in the past :) . The receiver's heat treat is questionable and it may fail, as you know. The barrel is also a small question mark for safety although when made they were considered fine.

I don't know who wrote that book but I can recommend the Brophy and Canfield books.

The stock was made after 1909. The stamping on your stock means rebuild at Rock island Arsenal and inspection by Frank Krack (no joke). Timeframe would be between 1941 to 1946, which may answer your WWII questions. Is there a stamp at the end of the stock, under the barrel? Right by the bayonet lug is where I mean, at the forward end. Impossible to say if the stock was original to the rifle at time of rebuild.

The barrel is a replacement, made by Avis Rifle Barrel Company in West Haven Connecticut. Your barrel date is somewhat rare, most are later, 1919 and 1920 being more common.

The bolt is possibly from an 03A3, but swept bolts were in production in late 1918. The date on your barrel is suggestive but not conclusive here, as the stock tells a story of a later rebuild. Possibly it was rebuilt twice. Are there any stampings on the bolt?

The holes in the receiver and the associated relief in the stock may be for a Lyman sight. This was fairly common but is not military to my knowledge. Is the relief cut in the stock vertical, and rectangular? The sight would be similar to this:

Last edited:

Doug S

Hi Chris_B. Thanks very much for the helpful and educational information. I've attached a few additional pictures in regard to your questions. I didn't notice anything on the bolt- but I will look better. In the meantime - here are the areas you questioned. After reading about the problems with low serial numbers - I have no plans on shooting the rifle. It will be a decoration in my "Man Cave". If I decide that I want a shooter - I may try to trade it later - but for now I'm planning on keeping it. The barrel date is actually 11-18 (kind of hard to see in the picture). You can also see the crack in the stock in the picture showing the sight cut out. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Chris_B

Well, the holes and relief are definitely for an aftermarket sight. :D Just not the one I guessed.

I can't quite read the stampings on the end of the stock.

Doug S

Two letters are an RI. There is another harder to discern letter below the top two.

If you don't mind me asking, what would a fair market value on this rifle be, based on what you can tell from the pictures?

Chris_B

I feel its hard to guage price. To the right person, this 1918 AV barreled rifle may fill a hole in a collection. But leaven that with the stock crack, the drilled receiver, etc.

You'd need to find somebody that wants a wall hanger, and then I feel you'd be stuck with wall-hanger prices, or you'd want to find somebody that collects odd, niche 1903s and wants the 1918 AV barreled example regardless of the slight imperfections. The holes, releif in the stock, and rebuild parts such as the "incorrect" stock type are going to impact the money that type of collector is willing to pay.

I'm not comfortbale guessing at price for this rifle. I'd suggest seeing what comparable rifles go for at Gunsamerica or Gunbroker, and then modify that by the two types of prospective buyer and ehat they are looking for vs what this rifle offers, to get a feel for price. I apologize but although I'd love to own a Model 1903 I never really priced out a low number example so I'm a bit lost on that subject.

Doug S

Chris B, that makes total sense, and I do appreciate the feedback. I honestly have no intentions of selling currently, but that could change in the future if I decide I would rather have a shooter Springfield. For now I'll enjoy it as a decoration (although I am a little disappointed that I can't shoot it. Back when I originally owned this gun, I had no idea about the low numbers, and didn't give shooting it a second thought, although I didn't shoot it much at the time)