1903 Remington(mod) Advice, opinion, value?

SgtYork

My Grandfather was an officer in the Army, Pacific Theater during WW2 and retired from the reserves as a Colonel. When he died in 1980 my Grandmother gave me all his insignias, ribbons and medals along with a few loaded Thompson magazines and his 1903 Springfield/Remington(modified) rifle. My Grandfather never talked about his time in the army and I didn’t know he had the rifle. I am not sure how he acquired it, but it fits his time in service. My grandmother said it never left their house and he never fired it.
I was in the Navy at the time so put it all in storage until I got out. It moved around with me, but I never fired it, broke it down or even handled it much, other than wiping it down once every few years. I recently became more interested in it after taking up trap shooting. I knew nothing about 1903s, in fact even though my grandfather was in ww2, I always thought the rifle was from ww1! I started researching it and discovered the following:
- The barrel was made in 12/42 and proofed after assembly.
- The serial number on the action falls between late December 42 and January 43.
- The build is consistent with the modified, pre A3 builds.
- It is pinned instead of bolted through the action which is consistent with a very short run in 1942.
- The bolt was subcontracted.
Looking at the rifle with fresh eyes, now 43 years after receiving it, I think it may have only been test fired. The barrel looks bright and brand new and the rifle itself looks the same. I would like any additional feedback, advice and some direction on a value if possible. I have many other photo's but looks like I can only upload three. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4928.jpg
    IMG_4928.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4929.jpg
    IMG_4929.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4924.jpg
    IMG_4924.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 55

taylorce1

He probably acquired it through the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP). They have a forum as well and could probably tell you the history of your rifle and value better.

jetinteriorguy

Wow, what a beauty. There’s just something about old bolt action war rifles that holds a lot of appeal for me. When I was young and stupid back in the early 70’s a friend of mine owed me some money and offered me an old military bolt action rifle for his debt, so I took it. Man was that thing a shooter, it’s been a long time and I believe it was possibly an 03 A3, the one thing I do remember it was made by Winchester. The stupid thing was I sold it to another friend of mine for$50.00 so he could have it sporterized as a gift for his grandfather who was a man I greatly admired. Last time I shot it was when I was visiting and his grandfather handed me the rifle and five handloads he’d developed for it. He pointed at a five gallon can off in the distance and said it was 375 yds away. He told me the aiming point and off the bench without any bags and iron sights I nailed it all five shots.

hooligan1

Chuck Moline at Warpath Vintage in Denver Colorado, could tell you exactly what you have and where it came from.. He is The expert on anything 03..

SgtYork

Great story, thanks. I’m deciding whether to use mine as a shooter or keep it fresh.i will hod on to it either way.