1903 conversion

woodit

I have a Colt Model 1903 .32 ACP (series 3). I have read that this can be converted to a .380 by swapping the barrel and magazine.

1. Is this true?
2. If true, where might I get a .380 replacement barrel and magazine?

Thanks.

RickB

I have a dim memory that the magwell is larger on the .380 guns. Maybe a .380-.32 conversion is possible, but .32-.380 is not.

Daniel Watters

Colt found that they could use they same breachface cut in the M1903 as the M1908 around 1910 or so. Gun Parts Corporation should have the parts necessary for a reversable conversion. I don't consider this objectionable, as long as the pistol is not permanently altered and the original parts are retained.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/products.asp?chrMasterModel=0660zPOCKET 380 HAMMERLESS

FWIW: A .380 ACP round will fit in my M1903 magazine, but I have not attempted the conversion. As an interesting piece of trivia, the successor to the M1903/1908, the FN M1910 used the same magazine for .32 ACP and .380 ACP. One side had counting holes for the .380 ACP while the other side had counting holes spaced for the .32 ACP.

woodit

>>Colt found that they could use they same breachface cut in the M1903 as the M1908 around 1910 or so. Gun Parts Corporation should have the parts necessary for a reversable conversion. I don't consider this objectionable, as long as the pistol is not permanently altered and the original parts are retained.

>>http://www.e-gunparts.com/products.asp?chrMasterModel=0660zPOCKET%20380%20HAMMERLESS

Thanks. They also list a 15-round .380 magazine. ???
How is this possible?

Daniel Watters

I have not personally handled any extended magazines for the M1903/M1908. My best guess is that the back wall of the magazine has a protruding lip which is engaged by the mag latch. I suspect that depending on the tolerances, the extended magazine would be either prone to premature release or nearly impossible to unlatch.

woodit

Well, I emailed eight gun parts suppliers. Score is: five say the 1903 .32 can be converted to .380, two say it cannot, one didn't answer. Not very reassuring. I guess I'll order the parts and see for myself.

RickB

Refreshed my dim memory: The .380 mag would not fit in the .32 frame, and .380 rounds would not fit in the .32 mag.

Daniel Watters

RickB: D'Oh!, I must admit that I only tried one round of .380 ACP in my .32 ACP mag. (I have a single round of .380 ACP in my reference collection.) It looks like a .380 round with a short ogive bullet might fit in the .32 ACP mags, but this would really crimp one's options for ammo.

Alas, I suppose this may just be a one-way conversion. However, I can't imagine why anyone would want to convert a M1908 to .32 ACP.

scoops

YOU HAVE A FINE PISTOL THERE.LEAVE IT B..32 is a fine rnd,there is alot of selection these days.IMHO the .380 isnt worth the effort to convert to.yes the .32 is no .40 sw but neither is the 380.those old 1903 colts are cool .thats what john dillinger was caught carring when he was ambushed.

woodit

>>YOU HAVE A FINE PISTOL THERE.LEAVE IT B.

I don't intend a permanent conversion, just the option to shoot .380 when I want. A barrel and magazine switch takes less than a minute.

billydave

Colt 1903 conversion

I have tried it with type III and IV. The older guns without the Mag. disconnect seem to function with little or no file work.
My Type III cycled 32s and 380s with ease. The 380 barrel is difficult to locate in the original but a reproduction is available. you must know the size of the extractor hole at the rear of the 380 to order. The barrel I ordered came sort of rough and had to be worked a little to get it to lock in correctly. I polished the breach and took off all of the sharp edges that hinder a round sliding in easily. I did a little file work on the bottom and top of the handle to allow the 380 mag to slide in and out smoothly. Now it is being plated with hard brushed chrome for my concealed carry piece. The Type IV required too much file work and just didn't seem like it was going to load smoothly even after the file work so I stopped and went to the older model.