19-5 Square butt to round butt?

gunhappy

I have the opportunity to have it round butted for $50. I like the gun with square butt, however I am intending to CC this 4" revolver. I don't really worry about the resale value as I intend to keep her. Is there any other reason to keep her square? Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Bill DeShivs

You will have to refinish the gun.
And, you won't carry it for long. The gun is too large and heavy. Changing the butt doesn't help much, anyway.
I would leave it alone.

kamerer

I agree that converting it won't make it a whole lot easier to CC, and 1)refinishing is expensive 2) just cold bluing the grind is ugly.

I do cc a 19-5, but a 2.5" (they came with round butts). They are pretty easy to carry. I find 4" barrels on revos too much to hide easily under a shirt/sweater.

carguychris

FWIW the last time I checked, J&G Sales had a number of NYPD trade-in M64s, RB, DAO, with bobbed hammers, for a little under $250. If you're determined to carry a 4" K-frame (see above), one of these would IMHO be a better choice than hacking up your current one and ruining its resale value.

The M64's SS finish will withstand sweat and dirt better than a blued finish, especially cold blue. If you get your gun refinished properly (i.e. professionally), it will cost almost as much as buying one of the above M64s. It just doesn't add up IMHO. :(

gunhappy

thank you

for the replies...I guess I will have to come up with some nice Magnas and a decent shoulder holster.:) It will make a nice winter carry that way. I really like this gun and intend to keep her unless something really good comes my way to exchange, but I am highly doubtful.

tekarra

Here a couple of my 547s. The 4" square butt and a 4" that had the butt rounded. It was that way when I bought it, and a rough job that needed some clean up. I prefer the round butt, but can't bring myself to modify the other. At the time of purchase, I did not notice the modification as it had a square butt grip. Notice I cut and sanded the grip to suit the butt.
DSCN0981.jpg

DSCN0980-1.jpg