18th Century Question

Hide glue has been around since Pharoah. I've never read an account of a settler making it though. I'm certain they were aware of it but can anyone confirm it? They had cattle, horses and mules that they could get the raw material from. It would have been useful for furniture making or in our case, gluing the wood plugs on the end of powder horns. Thoughts?

Pahoo

Interesting

Gary,
When I was actively working with powder horn, a Veterinarian I knew, would save me some of the horns from de-horning time. I would set up and boil them, outside as this was one of those times, the wife would not allow this work, in the house. :eek:

I boiled the horns and "Popped" out the bone core. Noticed a sticky layer that was also present. Scraped it out and later use is as a glue for my horns. I know it has a name that I have long, forgotten. It was a strong and useful glue for these projects. Besides making powder horns, I made BP measuring cups and Ram-Rod tips. I really do not know the process, for making Hide-Glue...... :)

Be Safe !!!

Hi Pahoo,

I've worked with scaled horns before but never ones with the core intact. I gotta ask my rancher neighbors for some.

There is a maker's space in the 4th floor of the Berg Building of Trinidad College. That's the same building the college big wigs are in. I should do that horn work on the fourth floor and see if it reaches the madam president's office on the 2nd floor.

Years ago a classmate and I stunk up Trinidad when we rendered bear fat into bear grease. Classmate who was downhill and downwind smelled it from over 1/2 a mile away. His thought, "It must be Dan and Gary making bear grease."

Never thought of Foxfire Mike. If it's in there, that suggests the frontier people knew of it and made it.

Anybody got a complete set of Foxfire?

ETA: Townsends link:

https://youtu.be/Qwyyi5-Ye7c

Joseph Moxon's The Mechanick's Exercises (1703) had instructions. Ordering a leather hardback sewn copy from Gyan Press (India).

ETA: My local animal shelter thrift store has old rawhide chew toys. Guess where I'm getting mine from to make hide glue?

ETA: I went today and the store sold out. :( I did buy a 2 1/2 qt Revere Ware Pot with lid for $4.50 and Kruschev Remembers for $2. :D