1895 stainless 450 Marlin

A/C Guy

Got my 450 on Thursday, finally got to the range today. I bought the Marlin 1895 stainless w 24" barrel. The gun is very well balanced and recoil is very manageable. It kicks a little more than a 20 ga. shotgun, but it is definitely easy to shoot. I shot about 14 rounds and my sons both shot it as well. My 10 y.o. can handle it, my 15 y.o wants the gun for himself. The P.O.I. for the 350 grain RN and the 305 grain plastic tips is within an inch of each other at 60 yards with the factory sights. My eyes are getting old, so I'm going to get a scope this week. I'm looking forward to trying it on some elk in a couple of weeks.

saands

If the leaf sights are what you have, you might consider getting a peep sight for it instead of a scope ... peep sights are GREAT for our aging eyes and maintain the ruggedness of the lever action that is part of its appeal. In a lever action 308, I use a scope, myself, but the 450 just isn't a "scope range" rounds, so the peep fit the bill well for me.

Just a thought.

Saands

DPris

Member Emeritus
AC,
If you do put glass on it, watch how you mount it & keep your eyebrow well back. :)
Denis

A/C Guy

I considered a peep. I looked at Skinner's website, he has some nice peeps. I have peep sights on 2 target grade .22's (CM-2 Russian rifles), but I prefer a scope for hunting. The Nikon Monarch 1.5 to 6 x 42mm with the 30mm tube is the ideal scope in my opinion. 1.5 for up close and dangerous and 6 power for 100 yards or more. I had Swarovski scopes on the rifles that I owned 20 years ago, but now the Nikon Monarch is so close, that I just don't want to spend the extra $900. The scope will extended the effective range out to 150 yards, or maybe 200 yards, depending on the bullet chosen.