1892 Winchester

Alamosa Bill

I’ve just acquired an 92 made in 1894, it looks in good shape with a decent bore but……I tried it today with my reloads of 35 and 40 grains of Swiss 3, with a 200 gr BP bullet and home made lube and it was all over the place.
Is Swiss 3 the right grade powder, I’m in UK and there’s not a lot of choice. Also should the bullet be soft or hard lead?
I slugged the bore and it measures 429.5-430, do I need a 431 mould
as I am using a Lee 429 now and they drop from 427.5 to 432? That may be my melting as I’m fairly new to this BP antique game.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ligonierbill

Are you loading your bullets "as cast", or do you have a sizing die ("Lubrisizer")? What lube are you using? In general, you would like a cast bullet to be 0.001 larger than the bore. Also, are you alloying your lead? A common mix is 20:1 Pb:Sn. Harder than pure lead. Your powder should be fine. Good luck!

Alamosa Bill

It’s 44-40 and I’ve cast just lead, so do l need harder bullets? Also what Swiss powder.? Oh yes when they did hit they were round holes.

Last edited:

ligonierbill

Let me first share my experience. I do shoot 44-40, but in replicas that have the "standard" 0.427 bore. But I also shoot an original 1892 (made in 1892) in 38-40. This rifle takes a 0.401 bullet, and I have some commercial cast with a proprietary coating and my cast bullets from a 0.401 brass mold (should have bought oversize, but I'm fairly new to this too) that I run through a Lyman Lubrisizer 0.401 die with SPG lube. They shoot "OK", maybe 3" at 50 yards. I do notice they do a little better with a black powder substitute than with the 35 gr GOEX FFg I load. I measure that by volume and load through a brass drop tube.

When casting, make sure you are at a good temperature and that you heat your mold before starting. I like about 680 F (360 C). You should get less variation than you are now. Mine is specified at 180 gr, but I get a consistent 174. Lube should be mostly in the grooves. If it's elsewhere, wipe it off with a rag. Lube is important, but if your homemade is from a recognized recipe, you should be OK.

Jim Watson

I am using a Lee 429 now and they drop from 427.5 to 432?

They ought to be a lot closer to the same diameter.
Bill's 20:1 is not a hard alloy, you should not need hard lead for BP.
What is in your lube?

Alamosa Bill

50% beeswax 40% lard 10% lanolin. I dipped my bullets which gets the lube everywhere but is only goes in the grooves once I seat the bullet and wipe excess off.
When I wire brushed after a few shots loads of black dust comes out and no matter how much I clean at the range the bore remains dirty. I cleaned it when I got home and it comes up nice.
I wonder if I should wipe every shot, I do with my sharps 45-70 and that’s a Pedersoli repro.

Alamosa Bill

Nor me but my mates got a repro Rossi and he says it’s the same?

Would the chamber have worn that much?

Just experimenting I can fit 4 heads in and still chamber a round, weird or what?