1892 reproductions?

themadbomber

I’ve been wondering... with the market for old-time reproductions, why haven’t I come across any colt 1892’s? I have many black powder and cartridge revolvers. I am surprised I haven’t found anyone who makes colt 1892 reproductions. If you can please point me in the right direction...

SIGSHR

Never heard of one. Considering it was a first generation design with several weaknesses and a poor reputation from the Moro Rebellion, it really doesn't have any cache or appeal.

Jim Watson

Agree. They are not as sturdy as the developed Colt Positive Lock series, why bother?
Also, there is no application for them. Even though a 19th century design, they are not used in the Single Action Shooting Society for some reason.

In the plastic automatic era, there are plenty of sound revolvers around.

SIGSHR

TR carried a Navy Model salvaged from the Maine up Kettle Hill, that's the only association I know of with a well know person.

Dfariswheel

The Colt New Army & Navy was a seriously complex and rather fragile revolver.
They break and get out of order too easily.

No one made a replica for the same reason no one has made a replica of the Colt Official Police, Python, or Detective Special.
There was an Italian company who talked about a replica Python but common sense or lack of funds prevailed.

The old Colt's required a lot of hand labor to build since the action parts were all forged steel and where hand fitted by filing, stoning, and actually bending them to get them to fit.
The New Army & Navy was even more complex and difficult to build.

Building a replica of a New Army & Navy that would cost a fortune to buy and not find any size of market at all would be a looser from the get-go.

Even though a 19th century design, they are not used in the Single Action Shooting Society for some reason.

Howdy

Did you not understand the name Single Action Shooting Society? We shoot Single Action Revolvers in CAS. Not double action. There are lots of 19th Century revolvers that are not approved for CAS competition. For instance my S&W 44 Double Action Top Breaks. Not approved because they are not single action revolvers. I have been allowed to shoot them a couple of times in local matches as long as I only fired them single action, but absolutely not allowed in major competition, no matter how they are fired.

Two44DAs02_zpsa8d18ab5.jpg

Actually, the whole replica single action revolver industry started long before anybody had thought up Cowboy Action Shooting. CAS did not start up until the mid 1980s.

Val Forgett II worked with Uberti back around 1959 or so to produce the first of the replica single actions, the Colt 1851 Navy Cap & Ball revolver. The centennial of the start of the Civil War was approaching and Val correctly guessed there would be a lot of interest in replica Cap & Ball revolvers from that period. Val started Navy Arms about that time, the first major importer of replica revolvers, taking the name from the Colt Navy revolver. I'm not sure exactly when Uberti started making replicas of the rest of the Colt Cap & Ball revolvers, or when they started making cartridge single action revolvers, but it all started around 1959 with the 1851 Colt Navy. Ever since there has been a steady demand for replica single action revolvers.

In fact, membership and participation in CAS peaked a few years ago, and has been declining a bit recently. But there are still lots of replica single action revolvers being made and sold. Far more than there are CAS shooters. A lot more people than just CAS shooters are buying replica single action revolvers today, the demand is still high.

Regarding the 1892 Colt, besides not being a very good design, there simply is no demand for it. That's why nobody is making a replica of it.

Last edited: